Sundown Audio

-10db 40hz test track

MOHpro

My subwoofer amplifier is rated at 1200rms @1ohm. I have my subwoofwer wired to 1ohm. My subwoofer's rms rating is 1000. I found the square root of 1000 (31.62) x 1ohm = 31.62 target voltage when using a dmm to set the amplifier gain. I set the gain using a 40hz -5db test track and turned the gain knob up until I reached the target voltage of 31.62 on my dmm. I have 2 questions.

1.) Should the dmm method of setting the gain only be used with 0db test tracks?

2.) How does the db level of the test track affect the actual voltage output of the amplifier compared to the voltage number that the dmm measures. As described above, using the -5db test track, is that giving me 1000 rms output, more, or less? What would be the wattage outputs for this scenario using the 31.62 target voltage for each of the following test tracks: 40hz 0db, 40hz -5db, 40hz -10db, 40hz -15db

All of that is useless unless you can measure distortion .

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

I can. I own the dd1. I used the dd1 to set my gains originally using the same track and turning up the gain until the distortion light stayed on then backed down just a tiny bit till the light went out and that is where I had it set. Im assuming this was with the amp at the full 12000 watts. My subwoofer is rated at 1000 rms and apparently couldnt handle the 1200 rms so the surround cracked on it. I also turned the bass level up on the equalizer on the HU at some times, not realizing that that increases the voltage output of the amplifier so I believe I was causing amp distortion by doing so which in turn broke the surround on the woofer. Either that or it was a combination of that and over powering the woofers. So I only wanna give my new sub 1000 watts of the 1200 the amp will output hence the reason insued the dmm the second.time around. I also had the bass control knob connected thenfirst time around and this time decided to no longer use it. I also have left the EQ on flat the whole time after the second.tuning using the dmm and have had.no problems

I would tune with the dd1 and then turn it down from there if you want to. Trying to adjust the power level with the dmm is a shot in the dark because the speaker impedance changes while it plays and it always goes up. I doubt your amp was putting 1200w to the subs because of this. Distortion kills so even if you set up with the dd1 it could be different when you play a song. Ultimately you are in charge of the volume control.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

if the surround is breaking that is likely from over excursion. That can be from too much power or box related (poorly designed or playing undertuning to far, etc). My guess is your amp isn't over powering the sub so much you are tearing surrounds, sounds like a box issue somehow. Is your box ported?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived