Big 3 Upgrade, gone wrong..

So I just recently upgraded my Big 3 for my 2005 Honda Accord. I did Alternator + to Battery +, - Battery to Chassis Ground, and Engine ground to Chassis Ground.. After reading around I see that instead of Engine ground to Chassis ground, there is Alternator Ground to Battery -. Well, after a few days running the big 3, I heard my starter getting more "explosive", I started to become scared every time I started my car because I knew the starter was not acting right. It sounded too powerful and sounded like it was going to blow up.. After I got home, I decided to test if the starter would make the same sound, and guess what... It wouldn't turn over anymore, I could not hear it crank, and just heard a whining. I got it replaced, and my car started up again, so what the F... just happened... I took out the big 3 wires that I added. Can anyone tell me what happened? I thought the big 3 was suppose to just make it easier for the electrical system to flow, why did my starter just go out on me? I read other people that have had the same experience, but I never found an answer... Also the ELD bypass for Hondas, it seems way too much for me, is there any point now to do the big 3 for this car? Seems like so much trouble..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing a big 3 or big 4 upgrade WONT hurt your car.... All your doing is installing bigger wire to allow electrical path to flow easier... Nothing more, nothing less. Chances are your starter was going out to begin with... Its almost imposible to screw up a big 3 upgrade... Make sure your mounting points are free of paint and your connections are clean and tight.

What ever grounds you replace make sure your upgraded wire goes in the same spot ! I removed the factory 8 and 6 gauge power and ground wires on my truck and replaced with 1/0 when i did the big 4

Alt to battery +

Frame to battery -

Body to battery -

Engine block to battery -

I didnt relocated any mounting points, i just used the factory points.

Thanks, that makes me feel more comfortable to put it back. All mounting points were the original mounting points. I just don't want to put it back in, only to have another starter die on me. Would you recommend putting a ground wire from the alt to negative battery post? Or is the engine ground to chassis just as good?

all my stock mounting points were painted. You might want to double check when you re-insttall. Primer is usually gray and so is metal, metal i shiny though.

Increasing a ground wire size IMO would not cause a starter to fail.... either the part was faulty or the install was wrong... ive never heard anyone say an electrical upgrade caused issues.... think of you swapping out your standard water hose for a firehose, your able to flow more water now do to the bigger hose size, same concept... i think your over thinking it bro...

If your running a stock ALT i would take off that ground you added to the ALT case and just use the engine ground...

Starter may sound like its "exploding" due to increased ground wire the return path isnt as "restrictive" so the electrons can move in and out faster... just my opinion

why would a ground up graded or not fuck with the starter? was fine before, then you just added. Dont get the ground thing.

Doing the big 3 or 9 or whatever isnt going to hurt the starter in anyway.

edit- its not like adding more grounding is gonna make your starter pull more amperage. Maybe HELP it yes..... but its not gonna go nuts and pull more than it should.

I guess im lost.

Archived