Think my new alt is not up to par. Or am i just expecting to much form what i have.

Gm ecotec alts have always been an issue due to the alt being computer controlled. you say the set point on the regulator is 14.8 but do you ever see that? if so is it cold only?

What does the voltage do with the a/c on or off voltage wise? Voltage on most ECM controlled alts will ramp up once the a/c is kicked on.

Other thing here to think about isnt so much the voltage as long as it is decent and holds there but the given amperage output of the alt when loaded down. if the amperage output sucks then you have a reason to be concerned.

And as audiofanaticz stated, get rid of that bottle necked ass cca wire.

My alt is not pcm controlled I have by pass. So mine runs 14.8 all the time

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

Thank you sir, this was what I was looking for. Plan was to upgrade to a few runs front to back As cash came in for the up grade. The batterys are all not that old.the d3100 is 1 1/2 years old the, batcap is a few months old, and the super start extreme agm, is also like a year old, all of them rest 12.9v. I was thinking about putting a bank of caps in. As I need to keep batterys in the spare tire well but as you can see I don't have much space. I had 2 of the d3100 but could not fit both in that spot with that super start agm also. So I went for the batcap 2000.

Well first your SuperStart is not AGM from what I can tell, no where does it say it is AGM on the battery that I see.

Sure they do make AGM models, and their AGM batteries say AGM on them.

SuperStarts site along with Oreillys says the battery gases must be vented to the outside of the vehicle for the for the Extreme which is the 90EXT model (same goes for the 90PRM which is the Premium model for your vehicle)

Now maybe Im wrong since I am only human, but I have NEVER heard of having to vent an AGM battery before in my life.

AGMs are sealed batteries that release no gases (unless you over charge them to the point they are boiling and the vents open up as a safty precaution to keep it from expolding, but then the batteries are junk).

h4WjSO.jpg

Again nothing that I see on either of those pages says anything about that specific model being AGM.

Now you say the Batcap is only a few months old, and from what I can see is you made a post about it on May 15th of this year.

So you being the owner of it for a few months is different than how long it has been used and taken care of previously before you.

You said you bought it new for $100 with the SHCA terminals on top. Those terminals are $35 on their own new.

So that price is telling me that it is a used battery since they typically sell for $285 new on Xstatics site, and found another one on google for $225 new.

You got off with about $300 worth of gear for $100, thats a pretty good deal or something maybe wrong with the battery.

Considering a new D3100 costs $359 and when people sell those used they ask and get around $300 for them.

Me personally wouldnt even buy a used D3100 for $200.

Adding a bank of caps may see some results, but its just a bandaid at this current point until you upgrade your runs front to back.

Like I said 2 runs of 1/0 OFC for positive and 1 run of ground to the back if you have the extra wire, along with alt to body/frame grounds in the front, and battery bank to body/frame grounds in the back.

No joke this past winter I load tested 3 D7500s for Scottie at XS power because a local guy made a warranty claim on them, to avoid sending batteries that sounded like to him they went bad due to poor maintenance and left drained never being charged.

All 3 batteries tested 12.8 to 12.9 volts on my multi meter individually, but as soon as I put a 50amp load tester on each of the batteries for 5 seconds it dropped each and every one of those batteries down to the 7-8 volt range. These are beasts of batteries the voltage shouldn't have dropped none if they where in good condition.

Point of me saying this is due to a digital multi meter is not enough to determine if a battery is good or not

So load testing used batteries is especially a must.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just saying what I am seeing that you or others are overlooking.

Thank you sir, this was what I was looking for. Plan was to upgrade to a few runs front to back As cash came in for the up grade. The batterys are all not that old.the d3100 is 1 1/2 years old the, batcap is a few months old, and the super start extreme agm, is also like a year old, all of them rest 12.9v. I was thinking about putting a bank of caps in. As I need to keep batterys in the spare tire well but as you can see I don't have much space. I had 2 of the d3100 but could not fit both in that spot with that super start agm also. So I went for the batcap 2000.

Well first your SuperStart is not AGM from what I can tell, no where does it say it is AGM on the battery that I see.

Sure they do make AGM models, and their AGM batteries say AGM on them.

SuperStarts site along with Oreillys says the battery gases must be vented to the outside of the vehicle for the for the Extreme which is the 90EXT model (same goes for the 90PRM which is the Premium model for your vehicle)

Now maybe Im wrong since I am only human, but I have NEVER heard of having to vent an AGM battery before in my life.

AGMs are sealed batteries that release no gases (unless you over charge them to the point they are boiling and the vents open up as a safty precaution to keep it from expolding, but then the batteries are junk).

h4WjSO.jpg

Again nothing that I see on either of those pages says anything about that specific model being AGM.

Now you say the Batcap is only a few months old, and from what I can see is you made a post about it on May 15th of this year.

So you being the owner of it for a few months is different than how long it has been used and taken care of previously before you.

You said you bought it new for $100 with the SHCA terminals on top. Those terminals are $35 on their own new.

So that price is telling me that it is a used battery since they typically sell for $285 new on Xstatics site, and found another one on google for $225 new.

You got off with about $300 worth of gear for $100, thats a pretty good deal or something maybe wrong with the battery.

Considering a new D3100 costs $359 and when people sell those used they ask and get around $300 for them.

Me personally wouldnt even buy a used D3100 for $200.

Adding a bank of caps may see some results, but its just a bandaid at this current point until you upgrade your runs front to back.

Like I said 2 runs of 1/0 OFC for positive and 1 run of ground to the back if you have the extra wire, along with alt to body/frame grounds in the front, and battery bank to body/frame grounds in the back.

No joke this past winter I load tested 3 D7500s for Scottie at XS power because a local guy made a warranty claim on them, to avoid sending batteries that sounded like to him they went bad due to poor maintenance and left drained never being charged.

All 3 batteries tested 12.8 to 12.9 volts on my multi meter individually, but as soon as I put a 50amp load tester on each of the batteries for 5 seconds it dropped each and every one of those batteries down to the 7-8 volt range. These are beasts of batteries the voltage shouldn't have dropped none if they where in good condition.

Point of me saying this is due to a digital multi meter is not enough to determine if a battery is good or not

So load testing used batteries is especially a must.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just saying what I am seeing that you or others are overlooking.

I don't take it as you being a ass at all. I am asking for help and that's what your doing, I will do as you said and put 2 runs of ofc in. And check the batterys. I'm pretty sure my super start is agm but could be wrong. O and Its not a extreme it's a platinum my bad.I went In To the parts store and said I wanted a agm starting battery, I don't see vents on it at alI. As to the batcap my good friend got the battery new, then a week later got a deal on 3 new redtops, I got it for building him some 6x9 boxs so it was even cheaper. Thats why I say it's only a few months old. The d3100. Came out of Jeff Rowland jeep. Not sure if you know who he is.(has the DB drive van that does like 170 on music or something like that. my friend got all 6 d3100 from his jeep. And sold me 2 of them at dirt cheap,

0804161159_zps8lajcxcf.jpg

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

Hey everyone, I am so sorry to hijack this thread, but I just registered as a new member and I cannot find anywhere how to post a new topic. I tried contacting support and even that is not letting me submit anything, which is why I am asking here.

Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

The same gases any battery vents while being charged, agm's are just less prone to it unless they are being overcharged.

The batteries have a pressure relief valve for safety that the gas vents through so it doesn't build up inside and rupture the battery.

Ask xs power, they will tell you I'm correct.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Hydrogen

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

batcap is a few months old, and the super start extreme agm, is also like a year old

That is a SuperStart Platinum battery you have, not an SuperStart Extreme like you said.

They are 2 different lines of batteries, and 2 different types of batteries, one line is AGM and the other is the traditional flooded type.

That being said it is probably fine to be used with the others.

The same gases any battery vents while being charged, agm's are just less prone to it unless they are being overcharged.

The batteries have a pressure relief valve for safety that the gas vents through so it doesn't build up inside and rupture the battery.

Ask xs power, they will tell you I'm correct.

They will typically not vent unless you are overcharging them to the point of boiling the water, and when they vent they smell like rotten eggs.

They are sealed until the point that they are abused and the valves open to prevent it from expoding.

Once they open they will not close so anytime you stress that battery from charging or discharging you will smell it.

I had a old NSB.90 from my friends street b crx that would squeal like a pig and make your eyes damn near burn any time I turned the stereo up.

But this will not apply to all agm batteries equally, some of them smaller wheel chair type batteries people have used, and the x-ray machine batteries I tried in the past will vent way earlier than something like a D3100.

The NSB.90 I had vented due to my friends charging it at 18volts with a high charge amperage right before going in to the lanes.

Since the car must be off in that format holding the highest legal voltage for your burp was a night and day difference.

I remember seeing a 1.1db gain from the squealing vented NSB.90 compared to a bnib NSB.90 fresh off the charger.

Archived