Second Skin Audio

How does power effect my enclosure

Usually when you over power a sub (depending on how much) you build ur box smaller to help with cone control. If its only a few hundred watts over rated RMS i wouldnt worry about it. If its more than say 500 watts over rated RMS you may wanna build slightly smaller box. The trade off maybe slightly louder (may or maybe not auidable to your ears) when over powering VS longevity of your sub.

+1 to what Bayuk said.

In addition, enclosure size effects the frequency response of the sub. Larger enclosures will have a larger peak in output around the tuning frequency than smaller enclosures will.

If you are trying to get as loud as possible, the trick is to build the enclosure as large as you can and still have it fit the space you have available and still keep cone excursion at a reasonable level for the amount of power you are going to be running. Its a bit of a balancing act.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Usually when you over power a sub (depending on how much) you build ur box smaller to help with cone control. If its only a few hundred watts over rated RMS i wouldnt worry about it. If its more than say 500 watts over rated RMS you may wanna build slightly smaller box. The trade off maybe slightly louder (may or maybe not auidable to your ears) when over powering VS longevity of your sub.

My sub is rated at 2000 rms and my amp makes 5000 rms at 14v but im holding steady 13 so im assuming im making 3500 to 4000. I plan on running another 15 but i want to see how much i can squeeze out of this single woofer.

The more power you have, the bigger the port needs to be to keep port velocities reasonable. Bigger ports eat up box volume so its another trade off.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Archived