Sundown Audio

Running your subs on more then rated power

KillerKeller40

I know the point of doing it is to push the sub and get more of it. But when do you stop? 250 over rated 1000 over rated double the rms? How do you know we're to draw the line.

For example I have a massive hippo 15 it's 2k rms. I'm planning on getting a twisted sounds 2.8k and they do an easy 3,500 rms at 1ohm. So do I give it all I can aslong as it clean power. I know it will cause it to need to be reconed after a while.

There is no simple answer. The box type and specs, music being played, and specs of the sub (other than RMS rating) are all going to effect how much power you can run.

Just because a amp puts out 1000 watts into 1 ohm doesn't mean your sub will ever actually see that much power.

My opinion is as long as mechanical excursion isn't the limiting factor most subs can be put on an amp that is rated for 50 - 100% more power than the sub is assuming fairly standard music will be played. In all cases, setting your amp properly and being attentive when playing your system will go a long way towards not damaging your equipment.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Well the box I have is a 4.75cuft ported box tuned to 32hz. The sub is a very beefy well made sub and the specs of the TS 2.8k at 1ohm is an easy 3,500rms. And the subs on rated 2k. So even with box rise and everything the sub still will see 2750-3000 at 14.4v. So I guess I'll just play with it and make sure no matter what it's getting clean power

Well the box I have is a 4.75cuft ported box tuned to 32hz. The sub is a very beefy well made sub and the specs of the TS 2.8k at 1ohm is an easy 3,500rms. And the subs on rated 2k. So even with box rise and everything the sub still will see 2750-3000 at 14.4v. So I guess I'll just play with it and make sure no matter what it's getting clean power

How do you know it will be seeing that much power? Its rated at 2800 rms . Dont just go by what people say it can put out .

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

The point you are missing here is that the number it does on the dyno vs. What you'll see power wise from it in your vehicle while playing music are two very different things.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Even if it did 3500 @ 1 ohm, you would probably only see no more than 2000 and that's assuming it's putting out full power. You can put whatever power to your subs you want you just have to be careful and pay attention to what's going on with your system otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money on recones. Now, i'm not suggesting put 20K to a 2K sub but ya know...do what you want to do. In the end it's your equipment not mine.

Box rise my friend.

I would assume you are seeing way less than 2000 watts personally.

I was trying to be a little optimistic lol If he rose to 2 omh he would be seeing considerably less than 2k

Like others have said, if your sub actually gets much over 2,000 watts peak, I'd be surprised. The RMS wattage will be even less (since most music isn't constant sine wave tones).

The point is, you should be fine on that power, just pay attention to how your sub is doing.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived