Sundown Audio

Running your subs on more then rated power

KillerKeller40

are there any general rules for running more power than rated? I assume just keep the amp from clipping and keep the sub from passing its xmax

Is it mostly based on excursion and box rise?

IMO quality subs *could* take about double their RMS rating.

Your box design can help cone control

Just because your tuned with a DD-1 or O-scope doesnt mean you can play ALL music full power all the time.. rebassed music and regular music play at different levels. For instance if you had some type of sound software on your computer, you could play an early DJSNT song and play a regular usher song. They are at different levels. I have a few DJSNT songs that play "hot" and get my coils stinky in less than a minute full tilt. I have other DJSNT songs i can play full tilt and not smell coil..

You have to pay attention to how your subs sound and smell.

I would never...

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

There many dyno videos and like most amps TS sends a test page of what they got on that amp at what voltage. And yes the amp is rated 2.8k on your typical 12.8-13.3 electrical system but like I said at 14.4v it will do easy 3500 @ 1ohm

tmp_1134-20160722_181040402788001.jpg

This is my dyno sheet, it shows *possible* power output. Its not definite i will see these numbers.

Impedance rise, box design, voltage drop, dynamics of musical notes ECT will play a factor of how much power this amp will put out and how much power the speaker will use to produce "musical notes"

Im running two SA-18's.. on paper they are rated 600 RMS each.. on paper my TS 2.8k puts out 3600 RMS at one ohm.. on paper im feeding them more than tripple rated power.. in real life musical play how much power are they getting ? Dont know, never clamped it. Im tuned -5 dB with my dd-1 some times i get stinky coil, i just turn the sub outs down (pre out voltage on my HU) figured out with my DD-1 0 dB on my HU my amp is -5 dB and -3 on my HU my amp is -2.5 dB and -5 on my HU my amp is 0 dB... so when i play a "hot" song i just turn my sub out to -3 or -5 depending on how my subs smell and play.. works for me

It's really a difficult question to answer for someone else. I put 2 cvr's on a CF 1700 @ half ohm and not a problem. Wouldn't smell shit until about 3 or 4 songs slamming hard on the expressway. The cvr's are like 1000 altogether and with the electrical I have I'm pretty comfortable saying it was getting well over 500 watts than rated

While ago i ran an aq3500 at .5 on a single zcon for over a year and was fine . . . Just got to know what to smell ,look ,and listen for and know when to take it easy

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

Archived