Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Choose box volume vs port length


Zak.vr6

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi
Is there any difference between having a long port with smaller box volume to a larger box volume to a shorter port
Both tuned to same frequency
I'm tossing between them and a t line quarter wave as they roughly take up the same space
I'm using a B2 audio cc8 subwoofer specs--


At the moment to run it in I've used a box 0.7cu ft with a 4inch pvc port 39 inch long
Box is tuned to around 34 it's ok

F463869D-2993-4118-BC84-B9C5845623BA_zps
Zak

Posted

Box volume does effect response and mechanical power handling. To what extent depends on the sub and tuning. You really need to plug the parameters into WinISD, Bass Box Pro, or similar to see what changing volume will do.

Posted

There can be a significant difference in performance between two boxes of different size but the same tuning. It depends on the specifics of the situation.

T-lines function very differently than a ported box does, so you can't compare port lengths between the two (with t-lines its not a "port"). T-lines and ported boxes accomplish pretty much the same thing, just different ways to do it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

At the moment to run it in I've used a box 0.7cu ft with a 4inch pvc port 39 inch long

Box is tuned to around 34 it's ok

Zak

Your driver is specified to work in a 1.06 cubic feet net ported enclosure so I am pretty sure you will get some performance gain as well as a shorter port if you do a proper ported box for it, as for the tline very likely it will be a larger box to build at least if it is an efficient design.

Posted

It's for an SQ build,

I'm limited on space hence going for an 8inch

The box I'm using is just to run the sub in on little power

I'm very restricted on boot/trunk space as it's a 7 seater MPV

With the rear seats up

39inch wide

12in height

10.5 inch deep

Id like to tune the box to 28-30hz

I also have a 15' in a 4cu ft box which fits in there with back seats down

73A98087-49FE-4F36-B2C1-6115501511FF_zps

Was just curious

I'm not sure where to get hold of the software mentioned either

As don't have a pc

Posted

Then do a sealed enclosure if your goal is for SQ.

While i do not know if that sub is meant for ported or not i would look into one that is.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Posted

It's for an SQ build,

I'm limited on space hence going for an 8inch

The box I'm using is just to run the sub in on little power

I'm very restricted on boot/trunk space as it's a 7 seater MPV

With the rear seats up

39inch wide

12in height

10.5 inch deep

Id like to tune the box to 28-30hz

Was just curious

I'm not sure where to get hold of the software mentioned either

As don't have a pc

On the space you specify you could do a single 10" ported or two sealed for sound quality, if you want to keep your 8" you have enough space for a better ported and probably a tline, to me the 2 10" sealed probably would be best for your application.

Posted

This 8 looked very appealing

I'm actually presently surprised at how good the cc8 is for its size very clean bass

I like the idea of low hitting 8 it sets a slight challenge to extract deep bass

I did try it in the box sealed but obviously it lacked the sub bass I need specially now I've started to seal the front doors

Cheers for the replies guys

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 5147 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...