Sundown Audio

Exceeding recommend box size?

The 3.2 cubes is after raising the seat 2.5 inches. And that's based on an outifre box not a downfire. Downfire costs a lot of volume because of the space needed between floor and sub.

Since you have space to kill I would say try to down fire the subs. I have had great success with the subs and port 90 deg out of phase with the subs loading on the floor. So a sub down port forward under the seat box?

Also 800RMS on 2 SA 8's i think that is under powering a little but that would be fine. Another factor in terms of subs is how power vs box size works together. Theoretically you could run less power and build a larger spec box and still get the subs to the proper peak to peak throw for optimal output.

Anyways. Play around with numbers and see if a 2 8's down fire ported box would work for you bud.

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

• 5 years later...

This is a under seat box I built last summer for a guy with a pair of the newest X-8's on a Sundown SFB-2000 in a 05 GMC Sierra without doing a seat lift.
I built the box a tad larger than spec (cant remember exact size I would need to find my box plans if I still have them) for increased efficiency and to get tuning a little lower than due to limitations on the port length. No issues what so ever. Granted going larger then recommended can turn to a nightmare fast if you don't know what you're doing or know what to listen for mechanically wise on the sub(s).
So for the SA-8s if they are the V3 series I probably wouldn't go anything larger than 0.4 - 0.7 cubic feet larger for both subs together. So ideally 1.9 - 2.2 cubic feet after sub/port/bracing displacement is subtracted for your 940ish watts you have. If you go too much larger than that you could potentially run into unloading issues but its hard to say since your not giving the subs their full rms wattage. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like (+1 Rep) 1