Alternator swapping - Engine Size

Hello, I'm looking into grabbing a high output alternator which I already have picked out but my question is - How much does the engine size matter? When I was getting quotes for alternators I noticed they always ask the engine size (4.6,5.0,5.4 etc)
So theoretically If I was to change trucks from a 5.4L and end up with a 3.5L ecoboost in the future, Would I be able to yank my high output alternator and run it?
I feel like I could because its just electrical based but then again its RPM based so I wasn't sure how this works aside from the case size.

I like to buy upgrades that I can yank later. High power sound system,lights, wheels etc. thumbsup.gif

The trucks in question are both Ford F150s but I'm just trying to future proof myself.

Depends on if the OEM bracket on both the trucks is the same or not. If it isnt you would have to get it sent in to get recased. Case size does dictate certain characteristics like heat build up and the type of components that can be put into it which in tern will effect performance.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

alt case is different from a mod motor (5.4/4.6) to a EB and 5.0 coyote platform. Ecoboost and 5.0 share the same alt setup. The 6.2 that was offered from 11-14 is it's own alternator too. Uses different mounting scheme from the 5.4/4.6 and the EB/5.0. Look on RockAuto, if you get bored and want to compare the alts. Most of them will have "INFO" buttons that shows alternate part numbers and pictures of the actual alts, so you can browse around and get some visuals.

Short answer: no.

Long answer, you might be able to get them recased. It'll be pricey to an extent, if even possible.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Thanks for the info, it more or less answered my concern but if the engines have different sizes then I may not upgrade since my truck has alot of miles on it and my voltage is fine if I'm moving or just turn it down a little when I'm stopped. Don't feel like spending $600 for something I can't reuse.

Easy way I found is just go to orielys Web site, add a vehicle and bring up the alternators, then add another vehicle and do the same. At least it will get you pointed in the right direction

Archived