Possible Alternator Issue. Advice?

I purchased a Singer Alt a few months ago and this past weekend something strange happened.

I was reving the engine at 2k RPM playing music, and then I began to hear a whining noise and thought nothing of it but was noticing my batteries weren't holding voltage as well as they normally do so I turned it off and let it be.

On the drive home I smelt a faint smoke smell, but couldn't notice anything as it was late out. After about an hour drive, my battery light came on my car, I turned it off and on and it was gone hadn't come back since.

This morning I turned on my car and the whining noise was still there, I opened my hood and the alternator positive bolt was glowing bright red, like very bright red. this was seconds after turning on my car. I noticed the batteries were at 12.9 but even if I revved it a little (usually bumps them to 14.7) nothing was happening.

Any opinions as to what this may be?

I purchased an alternator from you a while back and this past weekend something strange happened.
I was reving the engine at 2k RPM, and then I began to hear a whining noise and thought nothing of it but was noticing my batteries were dropping more so than usual. I turned it off and let it be.
As I was driving home I smelt a faint smoke smell, but couldn't notice anything as it was late out.
This morning I turned on my car and the whining noise was still there, I opened my hood and the alternator positive bolt was glowing bright red, like very bright red. this was seconds after turning on my car. I noticed the batteries were at 12.9 but even if I revved it a little (usually bumps them to 14.7) nothing was happening.
Any opinions as to what this may be?

Current Build:

1999 Tahoe #ComingSoon

Previous Build(s):

Crossfire Magnum

5k Pontiac G6 GT

That means the alt is going into super saiyan mode and giving you extra power, lol. I would take it off right now and send it back in

:lol:

And wurd,.. i dont like the stud glowing like that..... Id get it off the bank asap also. That would trip me out for sure.

Check the main power wire on the stud to make sure it isn't shorted to ground. Glowing stud means a ton of current is passing through it.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

Check the main power wire on the stud to make sure it isn't shorted to ground. Glowing stud means a ton of current is passing through it.

i was thinking double check that charge wire, sounds like a loose or shorted connection

For sure, its like its pumping amperage through the car.....

In case anyone wants to know.

HI chris
What your describing can be one of two things, either a power cable has dead shorted on you and it has taken out the rectifier on the alternator, or you have a battery somewhere that is toast and it over worked the rectifier also
because of the state the battery is in.
Generally my vote would be on a low or bad battery. The troubleshooting involved with something like this before you reinstall the alt once i repair it would be to pull each battery individually, test them all one at a time once they are charged to make sure they are good (load test them at a local auto parts store if you dont own a load tester) and then go over your connections to make sure nothing shorted

Current Build:

1999 Tahoe #ComingSoon

Previous Build(s):

Crossfire Magnum

5k Pontiac G6 GT

In case anyone wants to know.

HI chris
What your describing can be one of two things, either a power cable has dead shorted on you and it has taken out the rectifier on the alternator, or you have a battery somewhere that is toast and it over worked the rectifier also
because of the state the battery is in.
Generally my vote would be on a low or bad battery. The troubleshooting involved with something like this before you reinstall the alt once i repair it would be to pull each battery individually, test them all one at a time once they are charged to make sure they are good (load test them at a local auto parts store if you dont own a load tester) and then go over your connections to make sure nothing shorted

there ya go...... let us know how it goes.

Archived