Sundown Audio

efficient 2000 watt amps?

bleedingblue

Well Senchezzy seems to be getting pretty good results with his high voltage setup.

Oh I agree. I was just wondering if it was more efficient. I think it is but my logic could be flawed

Yes, HV is more efficient, because if you're using less current due to a higher operating voltage, then you have now reduced the heat that is caused by current traveling. But there's only so much efficiency that is able to be gained, due to the fact that you can not eliminate the need for current, no matter how high your voltage goes. it will always create heat, which will lower efficiency.

I do not recall if Sencheezy has reported any actual numbers in regards to his efficiency, only that he says it is louder, more clear sounding, and runs cooler. Maybe we can see if he can run some tests on that once he gets it back up and running.

Yes, HV is more efficient, because if you're using less current due to a higher operating voltage, then you have now reduced the heat that is caused by current traveling. But there's only so much efficiency that is able to be gained, due to the fact that you can not eliminate the need for current, no matter how high your voltage goes. it will always create heat, which will lower efficiency.

I do not recall if Sencheezy has reported any actual numbers in regards to his efficiency, only that he says it is louder, more clear sounding, and runs cooler. Maybe we can see if he can run some tests on that once he gets it back up and running.

In solar the higher the voltage the more effiecent everything becomes. In my solar i run 3 strings of 8 of the trojan L16 batteries in a 48 volt system. Each battery is 370 amps @ 20 hrs if i remember correctly and i have 24 total. To carry that current all i run is 4/0 cable. Prob could of got by with 2/0 to be honest.

To cut volts in half everything pretty much doubles in amps.

in house current say a 1000 watts takes 8.3 amps of current in 110 volt and in 220volts its 4.3

Id say any time you increase volts in car audio everything is just more efficient. Of course the equipment has to be made for higher voltage.

Back around 1992 my brother got a lanzar brute force it was rated at 450x2 if i remember correctly. It pulled way more current than an amp does today. It amazed me when sundown rep told me that 2000 watt amp only pulled 173 amps @ 1 ohm and it being the price it was.

:threadsucks:

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

:threadsucks:

Then why are you posting in it?

:lol:

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Because he, just like the rest of us regulars, can smell a troll from miles away.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived