Kyblack76 Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 You don't need w7 grab one off these. http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/q-series-q18neo/ Get another jl 1000 Put one amp per coil Then let your ears have sex to sonic bliss SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
twalker182 Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Your TOTAL budget for subs and box is $400? 2010 Accord Sedan XS D3400R Clarion HU Sundown mids and highs Incriminator amps Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"
whazoo84 Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 OK, let's try this again. Sorry about the first one; didn't know. Not trying to start any kind of heated versus type of debate between brands, but i would genuinely like to hear people's experience on sub set ups. The amp is a 1000/1 JL, and i currently have it on a single 15 rated for 750 RMS. It's too much for that woofer. I have decided to upgrade. I started looking at JL subs, but the only sub i really love from them is the very costly W7 line, and i can't afford it right away. Therefore, i am looking for a budget set up to get me through the winter. What i want: Be under $400, including wood for box build, or prefab. I already have enough carpet, screws and glue laying around. Fit into space of 38"W X 21"D x 18"H My tastes are probably 60% SQ, 40% SPL. I love woofers that are accurate, and not overpowering, when i listen to music, but can still make me feel like i'm in a nightclub when i listen to rap or electronic music. Thinking 3-4 10's, 2 12's, or 2 15's. Not sure if the 10's will give me the lows i love, but not sure if the 15s will give me the clarity. I've done 2-12s so many times over the last 16 years that i've been into car audio, i kind of want to do something different, but still open to it. Do this: Custom box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Ported-Sub-Enclosure-Box-for-1-15-American-Bass-XFL-4-0-CU-FT-38-Hz-/322343193193?hash=item4b0d26ca69:g:N54AAOSw44BYLRUU Then get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Bass-XFL1522-1000W-RMS-15-Dual-2-Ohm-XFL-Series-Car-Subwoofer-/291813022836?hash=item43f1695c74:g:STMAAOSwuzRXfn4I&vxp=mtr And this shit will SLAM. American Bass makes some good shit, and this box is gonna make this shit loud with those dual aeroports. If I were you, I'd do this.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Do this: Custom box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Ported-Sub-Enclosure-Box-for-1-15-American-Bass-XFL-4-0-CU-FT-38-Hz-/322343193193?hash=item4b0d26ca69:g:N54AAOSw44BYLRUU Then get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Bass-XFL1522-1000W-RMS-15-Dual-2-Ohm-XFL-Series-Car-Subwoofer-/291813022836?hash=item43f1695c74:g:STMAAOSwuzRXfn4I&vxp=mtr And this shit will SLAM. American Bass makes some good shit, and this box is gonna make this shit loud with those dual aeroports. If I were you, I'd do this. If I were you, I would NOT do that. That sub is a good recommendation, but that box is no bueno. I like how "custom" has become a completely meaningless marketing term now. There is nothing "custom" about that box, its a pre-fab like any other and has the usual prefab problems. While it looks nice, it has no bracing that I can see, its tuned on the high side, and it has WAY too little port area. Friends don't let friends buy pre-fab boxes. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
whazoo84 Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Do this: Custom box: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Ported-Sub-Enclosure-Box-for-1-15-American-Bass-XFL-4-0-CU-FT-38-Hz-/322343193193?hash=item4b0d26ca69:g:N54AAOSw44BYLRUU Then get one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Bass-XFL1522-1000W-RMS-15-Dual-2-Ohm-XFL-Series-Car-Subwoofer-/291813022836?hash=item43f1695c74:g:STMAAOSwuzRXfn4I&vxp=mtr And this shit will SLAM. American Bass makes some good shit, and this box is gonna make this shit loud with those dual aeroports. If I were you, I'd do this. If I were you, I would NOT do that. That sub is a good recommendation, but that box is no bueno. I like how "custom" has become a completely meaningless marketing term now. There is nothing "custom" about that box, its a pre-fab like any other and has the usual prefab problems. While it looks nice, it has no bracing that I can see, its tuned on the high side, and it has WAY too little port area. Friends don't let friends buy pre-fab boxes. Check this with Torres BTC. If you put the box I linked to on eBay compared to the box American Bass recommends, the box on eBay is actually quite close in port area, having slightly less than recommended. Another thing is this isn't a prefab box. The box is made by Tyler Adams Also, the tuning on the recommended American Bass box is 41.5hz, the tuning on this box is 38hz, which isn't that bad? The other thing is this isn't a large sub, is bracing really that necessary for a single 15" setup? I see on his other boxes there is bracing, but that's for the Sundown zv boxes, which is kinda obvious why that's necessary. So is this box really that bad? Am I missing something? To me this doesn't look half bad for the money.
Joe X Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Problem with that box is port area, you need like 45-50 square inches for that sub instead of 25, big deal or not you can't really call it custom done like that.
whazoo84 Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Problem with that box is port area, you need like 45-50 square inches for that sub instead of 25, big deal or not you can't really call it custom done like that. You get 25 if you only use one port, multiplied it by 2 and I got 40~ inches. It was a little small but nothing too off. Am I missing something still? Edit: Someone just told me that I was using Torres wrong. I redid it and got what you got. Yeah the port area is small.
Triticum Agricolam Posted November 30, 2016 Report Posted November 30, 2016 Check this with Torres BTC. If you put the box I linked to on eBay compared to the box American Bass recommends, the box on eBay is actually quite close in port area, having slightly less than recommended. Another thing is this isn't a prefab box. The box is made by Tyler Adams Also, the tuning on the recommended American Bass box is 41.5hz, the tuning on this box is 38hz, which isn't that bad? The other thing is this isn't a large sub, is bracing really that necessary for a single 15" setup? I see on his other boxes there is bracing, but that's for the Sundown zv boxes, which is kinda obvious why that's necessary. So is this box really that bad? Am I missing something? To me this doesn't look half bad for the money. The eBay box has less than 25" sq in of port area, like JoeX said, it should have around twice that. Just because a box is made by someone with a name instead of some faceless company doesn't make it custom. A custom box is built to the customers specifications, tailored to be exactly what they want, that eBay box is not that at all. Its a one size-fits-all box that's already been built, the exact definition of a pre-fab. Bracing is determined by the size of the panels, not the size of the sub. I generally try to brace any panel that has more than a 12" unsupported span, though it depends on the particular situation. The eBay box should definitely have at least some bracing though. Yes, it really is that bad. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Rocbola Posted November 30, 2016 Author Report Posted November 30, 2016 You don't need w7 grab one off these. http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/q-series-q18neo/ Get another jl 1000 Put one amp per coil Then let your ears have sex to sonic bliss That looks like a fucking sexy woofer. No room for an 18 in my trunk, but i am looking at 18s for the Suburban.
Rocbola Posted November 30, 2016 Author Report Posted November 30, 2016 i went from 4 type r 12s to 2 amercian bass xfl 12s. ill never buy alpine again. 1k rms (conservative) and god they just hammer for the price. can be had for $170 a sub online Thank you. I'll check into those. They slam hard, but how are they on normal music?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.