Second Skin Audio

Single 10" type r (swr-10d4) ported design advice

Ryan Lynch

This is for a civic coupe that has a pretty big trunk. Currently it's hooked up to a fosgate prime r500x1d @ 2 ohms pushing a little less than 600w rms.. in a prefab ported which is surprisingly close to alpine's recommended specs.

The sound ordnance prefab is 1.47cft tuned to 35hz

alpine's recommendation is 1.3cft tuned to 35-39hz

At the moment seems to be very peaky. I listen to rap, drum & bass, dubstep, lots of electronic and industrial rock/metal (marilyn manson, nine inch nails type stuff).

Just figured I'd see what you guys would advise before I go off and build myself a box that's even worse than what I have haha. Thanks.

If you don't have access to modeling software, I would suggest just going with recommended specs. Do they give a recommended port area? Because of the type of music you listen to you may be better pleased with a lower tuning such as 30 -33 hz.

That sub is recommended for 0.75-1.3 net so your box may be on the larger side but there are other things to consider like you are using bass boost / tone controls / EQ, your box aimings and placement. if you don't find an easy way out you may consider a custom box which you can get help with here, something about 1 net @ 32Hz may ease your issue.

That sub is recommended for 0.75-1.3 net so your box may be on the larger side but there are other things to consider like you are using bass boost / tone controls / EQ, your box aimings and placement. if you don't find an easy way out you may consider a custom box which you can get help with here, something about 1 net @ 32Hz may ease your issue.

Rear firing. No bass boost and eq is flat. As far as placement, seems to sound the best mid way in the trunk little towards the left. Manipulating these seems to help a tad but I still think I should try making a smaller box I guess.

If I were you, I'd look into how much port area you have on your current box , a lot of prefab boxes have the tuning close to what you need but as far as per your subs specs, could be off. From personal experience those subs like 16 square inches of port area per cubic foot. And a tuning 31-34 hz

Rear firing. No bass boost and eq is flat. As far as placement, seems to sound the best mid way in the trunk little towards the left. Manipulating these seems to help a tad but I still think I should try making a smaller box I guess.

Let one of your seats down and you will have plenty of bass inside the cabin

Archived