Sonic Electronix

Alternative to foam for roof bracing? (pics included)

I see a lot of people using foam to stop their roof from slamming into the braces while flexing.

Since I don't have any foam, but do have rubber, I'm thinking about placing that between the bracing.

Does anyone know of any reason NOT TO use rubber? Or any pros of using foam over rubber?

1Wwn96vl.jpg

Dmd9Riol.jpg

I second the vote for PL. Glue the ribs to the roof and never worry about it again.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

People usually use foam when they wall, not just to stop those braces from hitting the roof.

The rubber will stop that, but wont stop the roof flex.

PL and wood on the roof works wonders.

If your gap between the wall and the roof is tiny it can work decent too, but its best to do it in small sections.

If you try to do it all at once the foam gets hard on the outside, but not the inside and creates a suction which cause the roof to dimple.

People usually use foam when they wall, not just to stop those braces from hitting the roof.

The rubber will stop that, but wont stop the roof flex.

PL and wood on the roof works wonders.

If your gap between the wall and the roof is tiny it can work decent too, but its best to do it in small sections.

If you try to do it all at once the foam gets hard on the outside, but not the inside and creates a suction which cause the roof to dimple.

I'm talking about foaming the braces like such:

SDC10007.jpg

(Canag3's S-10 Blazer w/ 2 18s).

I understand that people walling use foam to seal off and prevent air from escaping, but I'm speaking strictly towards preventing the roof from smashing into the braces.

My plan would be to put rubber inbetween all of the braces and the roof, and then use Second Skin Damplifier everywhere else on the roof.

I second the vote for PL. Glue the ribs to the roof and never worry about it again.

Wouldn't this cause warping issues? I thought that with all the vibrations, having anything super rigid would be a bad idea.

Archived