r_sherrer29 Silverado Build

2 minutes ago, jimdog32526 said:

This is the stuff I was thinking of.   Second Skin Luxury Liner.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro-4-sheets-24x54-each-36sqft/

LuxuryLinerPro_001__38155.1352417539.128

Great shit, might be the best out there but shit isn't cheap! Couple hundred just to do doors. 

Alright guys, its time for me to put serious thought into what I want to do for my bass. I am stuck between two box ideas right now. Both are for under the seat. 

Box idea 1 is to have two 8's forward facing with a slot port between the two woofers loading off the center console or a configuration of an aero firing out the side loading off a door. I know the forward facing slot port can work, the side port is questionable based on the depth of each woofer. 

Box idea 2 is to have two 10's down firing with the port(s) either firing backwards or again firing forward towards the center console. I am drawn to this idea because I get 20" of cone area vs 16" of two 8's. I also know with this box that I can get at least 2 cubes of usable airspace for the drivers. Makes me think that two sa-10's on 500 rms a piece would perform well. BUT...this box would be wayyy harder to build and calculate. 

Box 1 would get similar air volume by fiberglassing the tubs but I am not sure if I would be happy with the performance of two 8's in 1.75 ish cubes Vs two 10's in 2 ish cubes. No matter what way I go, they HAVE to run on my sae-1000d. I know that it is a box under a seat and has serious limitations but if some people can chime in their ideas and opinions it might make the decision easier. 

I have linked two pre fab boxes that basically are available in configurations I listed but the forward facing box in pre fab only has 1.4 cubes because they built around tubs instead of glassing them in. I am not saying I am buying one of these, just added for reference. Thanks guys!

http://www.foxacoustics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GM-XC-210-V-07

http://www.soundoffaudio.com/ported-sub-box-07-13-gmc-sierra-chevy-silverado-extended-cab/

2011 Silverado Ext Cab

Pioneer 6100NEX

SkyHigh 1/0

XS Power 

Polk db521 coax in rear

Skar 6.5 Components

Sundown SAE1000-D

Fosgate P600x4

I got on solidworks for a bit to play with the enclosure I am thinking and see what you guys think. Most of the stuff were rounded numbers so I could CAD it in about 10 min but this will be the design more or less. The wood you see would be the shell. The blank bottom areas would be glassed in and the top will be glassed to the contour of the seat. I will use chicken wire to hold the shape while glassing then cut out wire through woofer holes. My worry with this enclosure is the sound. I have heard before that fiberglass enclosures don't sound or get nearly as loud as all wood ones so that scares me. Does some glass like this one affect that or what? Hopefully someone with way more knowledge on this can help or lend advice. Thanks for keeping up with the build, I appreciate it!

IMG_2631_zpsowv8ass6.jpg

2011 Silverado Ext Cab

Pioneer 6100NEX

SkyHigh 1/0

XS Power 

Polk db521 coax in rear

Skar 6.5 Components

Sundown SAE1000-D

Fosgate P600x4

You can also get some yoga mats from ebay, thats what I did. Theyre dirt cheap and who cares if you have to cut them to fit!

Full coverage of deadener then the yoga mat with carpet and padding is a nice combo!

• 2 months later...

Well after a super long delay because the weather sucked and work/robotics kept me extremely busy...I finally started. The box should be around 2.2 cubes after displacement. Using (2) Skar Audio MA-8s at 32-34hz. The port is 1.5" tall, 5" wide and 5" long. Using a few different calculators, the port should be spot on and the minimum port side length is 4.75" so I should be good there. The back of port to the back wall of the box is going to be anywhere from 3-7 inches. I still have to make a few back wall sections, each side of the box will have a MDF top. The bottom, slopped middle, and middle over the top of port will be fiberglass. I decided to use both just to get more air space. The woofers will end up having bar grills over them to protect them against the occasional foot/shoe. This is my first box build ever so we will see how it turns out. Any advice or critics on port or such are more than welcomed. Thanks for the support I have gotten along the way guys!IMG_6592_zpsqbyqvoyk.jpg

IMG_6567_zpsklmhk9ss.jpg

IMG_6594_zpsgpbujhfm.jpgIMG_6596_zpszr5vizha.jpg

2011 Silverado Ext Cab

Pioneer 6100NEX

SkyHigh 1/0

XS Power 

Polk db521 coax in rear

Skar 6.5 Components

Sundown SAE1000-D

Fosgate P600x4

Archived