Engine Sludge? 1999 Camry XLE v6 with less than 80k miles on it... what do I do?

So i guess it's not really engine sludge and it's just an oil leak from valve gasket.

This is the quote that I got from the mechanic. The owner seems like a nice guy and the shop looks nice and busy.
car-mechanic.jpg

Parts/Supplies: $419.00  and Labor: $650. Total: $1,074.00.  This sound about right?

He said it would be best to drop the car off and pick it up the next day.

Also I noticed on the terms it says: "Not responsible for loss or damage to cars or articles left in cars in case of fire, theft or any other cause." Is this normal? I might have to take all my car audio stuff out of the car before I drop it off.

In addition, there's a box that lets me check "Keep all parts removed" or else be discarded. Should I keep all parts they take out?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update after having my Timing Belt & Waterpump & Valve Cover Gasket maintenance from the Auto Shop. Took about 2 and 1/2 days at the shop for get it all done. I redid some of my wire runs to make it look better too!

I'm glad it wasn't engine sludge problem and just an Oil Leak.

timing-belt-water-pump-valve-gasket-cove

I didn't open the Timing Belt box cover to look around because I wouldn't know how to put it back together -.-

I might have to bring my car somewhere to get it pressured washed to get rid of all the oil leak stuff down there.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

2 and a half days that's like a 2 hour job pays like 5 hrs I would have got that shit done before lunch .  That engine does have a lot of sludge issues make sure u run good oil.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

On 2/19/2017 at 4:43 PM, Ron36 said:

2 and a half days that's like a 2 hour job pays like 5 hrs I would have got that shit done before lunch .  That engine does have a lot of sludge issues make sure u run good oil.

Timing belt and valve cover gaskets take more than 2 hours bro LOL

I'm looking at the labor guide right now. Says 3.7 for timing belt, and 2.6 for the valve cover gasket. 

1 hour ago, SnowDrifter said:

Timing belt and valve cover gaskets take more than 2 hours bro LOL

I'm looking at the labor guide right now. Says 3.7 for timing belt, and 2.6 for the valve cover gasket. 

It says hes a Master Tech... Now getting all that done in 2hrs yeah right. 4-5 is possible. 

@ Ron.....The 2 and a half days is cause he had to finish up other work before started on this guys job. It happens all the time. You can never know your carry over work if you are busy. A little oil change job can turn into a brake job real quick so now you are starting to back up your schedule. 

Thats cool. Im way too old to be upset by shit like that. Your name is winston. Your own parents hated you even before you were born.

My penis is bigger than your penis

I'm far from loud and my roof/headliner flaps around like Adam's ass on a windy day. I think it depends more on the structure of the vehicle.

So, for a Yelp review, should I just give him 5/5 stars? I normally don't like to go in between. It's either good or bad or no review.

Review is up to you man. 

2 hours ago, Keith77 said:

It says hes a Master Tech... Now getting all that done in 2hrs yeah right. 4-5 is possible. 

@ Ron.....The 2 and a half days is cause he had to finish up other work before started on this guys job. It happens all the time. You can never know your carry over work if you are busy. A little oil change job can turn into a brake job real quick so now you are starting to back up your schedule. 

I don't care what he is. I worked as a professional mechanic myself up until just recently doing the same stuff. There is no way you can convince me he can do that job properly in 2 hours. 

If you get it done that fast, you're skipping steps and not doing shit right. And if that's how you work, this is the wrong profession.

I've done 100's of timing belts , toyota's come with the marks on the belt already almost impossible to fuck up and if it takes me more then 2 hours in pissed at myself, yeah it pays more then 2 hours that's how I make money. I've replaced frames on tacomas in a day and a half and it pays 40 hours . 

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Just now, SnowDrifter said:

Review is up to you man. 

I don't care what he is. I worked as a professional mechanic myself up until just recently doing the same stuff. There is no way you can convince me he can do that job properly in 2 hours. 

If you get it done that fast, you're skipping steps and not doing shit right. And if that's how you work, this is the wrong profession.

U know nothing about the auto industry thinking what u said here if I can get paid 5 hrs and get a job done in 2 that's money in my pocket I still get paid for 5 I'm already on my next job by then that's how all real mechanics make there money ask any of them.

57 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

U know nothing about the auto industry thinking what u said here if I can get paid 5 hrs and get a job done in 2 that's money in my pocket I still get paid for 5 I'm already on my next job by then that's how all real mechanics make there money ask any of them.

I'm not going to engage in the pissing contest you're trying to start. But I'll maintain my statement: No way you can to a timing belt job and valve cover gaskets on a v6 camry with any level of quality in 2 hours.

Archived