Alternator and Battery Help

Hey guys. I have a slight problem figuring out how many or how big or both, of alternators do i need to push 9000 watts. The system I am building is a little under 8000 watts. Im trying to run my amps at the highest efficiency possible. I have decided to run at least 2 D2700 xs power batteries. But, I am not sure what size or how many alts I need to efficiently charge the batts. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Real world youd need closer to 800A after efficiency is taken into account. And you said youre trying to run your amps at the highest efficiency possible, so that means running your subs at the highest DCR, which means all subs and voice coils wired in series. That what you want to do? As resistance gets lower, so does efficiancy.

I would shoot for a combined 1200A worth of alt and battery, it will allow your cars system to get what it needs and leave some room for upgrading later on without adding much more in the way of batteries. If you decide to start running the amp below rated ohm load you'll want the extra capacity to cope with the added demand.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I'm glad you asked this question because i've been having the same one, for a little less power at least.

If you don't mind me asking a quick question on your thread, I'd like to ask Skullz something.

Hey @Skullz how do you figure out the combined amperage of the batteries? On my build I'm doing I'm using one 240a mechman alternator. I did not know that the batteries can add (or store?) amperage to the electrical system. I appreciate any help. 

Most all AGM batteries have an AH rating on them, so if the battery you choose has a 120ah rating then you just need to add the total together to get to the number of batteries you need, so for 1200ah and you have a pair of 270ah alts you'll need another 660ah to reach the 1200 goal.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

4 minutes ago, Skullz said:

Most all AGM batteries have an AH rating on them, so if the battery you choose has a 120ah rating then you just need to add the total together to get to the number of batteries you need, so for 1200ah and you have a pair of 270ah alts you'll need another 660ah to reach the 1200 goal.

Sick! So when I get my 240a, say the car will take up 75amp, that'll leave me 165amps. If i wanted 300amps total for the system, I would need to do two XS D7500's then to get a total of 445 which leaves some head room for the future. 

And at 12v, 445 amps will give me 5,340 watts to work with. 

Which if i could see running voltage on that (full charge for a little while at least) at 13.8v that will give me 6,141 watts total for the whole system. 

I hope my math is correct. Thank you for the help, I greatly appreciate that @Skullz

Archived