How can i get CLEAN cuts on big tubes?

We cut cardboard or plastic tubes on the table saw with a fine tooth carbide blade. Set up the fence, butt one end up to it, and rotate the tube backwards (top toward yourself) as it cuts through.

For hand tools @ShadeTreeMechanic's got your answer.

Static drops are my bag.

7 hours ago, Reaper said:

What about a pipe cutter? Same type used in plumbing. Just get a large one. I've able to cut up to 10"+

Can u recomend one that you used for the larger pipes? That would work really good for a square cut, but ill have to use another technique for when i have to cut the tube at an angle. Im making a "truncated cylinder" shape out of this cylinder. Thanks for ur help. 

14 hours ago, ShadeTreeMechanic said:

Use a hack saw with a 24 tpi blade. Don't cut all the way through in one spot. Just do a little, turn a little,do a little, turn a little. All the way around on your mark. You are trying to cut it too fast. The friction from cutting causes it to melt and then grab. If you lived any closer to me, you could bring it over and I would cut it for you.

Ill go check lowes tonight for one. Thanks for the specifics, that helps me out alot. Id be over there at lowes staring at hack saws for two hours goggling reviews and recommendations as i always do lol. 

So i got the tube cut today/tonight. Took a long ass time tryna fingure out how to draw the right lines but i got it. Ill post up the progression pics when i get the pic upload issue figured out, then ill start the build log. But heres the cut, as clean as id expect from a hacksaw. Used a 32tpi 12" blade. Bought a lennox hacksaw and a 3 pack of blades 18/24/32tpi. I tried 32 and it worked good. Alot of elbow grease tryna hold the tube still and tryna hacksaw straight and smooth. Still hand to do some sanding but im happy with how it turned out.

1 hour ago, 06RTCharger said:

So i got the tube cut today/tonight. Took a long ass time tryna fingure out how to draw the right lines but i got it. Ill post up the progression pics when i get the pic upload issue figured out, then ill start the build log. But heres the cut, as clean as id expect from a hacksaw. Used a 32tpi 12" blade. Bought a lennox hacksaw and a 3 pack of blades 18/24/32tpi. I tried 32 and it worked good. Alot of elbow grease tryna hold the tube still and tryna hacksaw straight and smooth. Still hand to do some sanding but im happy with how it turned out.

Good job. Like all cordless tools from back in the day, they put muscles on you. lol

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

• 4 weeks later...

Looks good. I just used a pipe wrap to get me a line, then used a jig saw to cut my 6" pvc ports. Worked pretty dang good

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Archived