Second Skin Audio

What type of enclosure for boat

lowrider77

I just recently bought a 28ft express cruiser boat and have already replaced the factory deck on it with a marine kenwood one. im not new to car audio, but not sure what type of enclosure to build for a boat because its not a cabin environment like cars/trucks. Going to be putting the sub enclosure under the rear seat which is a bench more or less. Thinking maybe a single 10 but should it be sealed, ported, t-line or something else?

My parents boat we built an enclosure for it under the drivers footwell. Just a sealed box, and it does pretty well

The neighbor put his inside the passengers seat. It has a fold up backrest to it and he has 2 10s in a ported there.

We wanted to stick to the simple so that is why we went with the sealed. The neighbor had a shop do his and it was just a pre fab box so nothing too special

1349713160_rte.png

I have no experience with boat systems but I would think ported would be best if you have the space for it. I would put the largest ported sub that I could fit. I have two ported 12's in my home audio setup and even though that's not as open as a boat this house sure isn't anything close to being sealed up. I want more but they will hit hard enough that you feel it in your chest on the right note. It's kind of surprising for me since it's a pretty big open space compared to a car. The PA boxes that I've seen are usually ported and I don't figure they would want to lug around a bigger heavier box unless there is a reason for it.

Did one a while back. 2 12's, 3 1/2cu tuned to 32hz. Downfiring behind the captains chair. Resin inside and plastidip outside. Sprayed a few coats of Teflon waterproofing spray on the cones. The boat is mainly used for wakeboarding so lots of water in the boat at times. It's been almost 2 years with no issues. Loud as hell too

55x53k.jpg

7W7hb1.jpg

I don't have a lot of experience with this. But from what I do understand, you're going to have a hard time getting very low in that kind of open air environment. If I were you I would definitely go ported, for efficiency and I'd tune it rather high, say 45hz, because I don't think that in a boat  there will be much space for a Soundwave much lower to form fully, and only people a little ways away from you will be able to hear it. Also you'll want as much extra spl as you can Get. Maybe look at how many PA subs are tuned and go with something similar to that. 

Archived