Second Skin Audio

New enclosure build design for noob please

2002 Honda Civic lx sedan

34” wide 

15” high

18” deep is the space I’m willing to sacrifice, if need be the depth can grow by 2-6” and width can go 36 but only if need be, hopefully smaller. 

Two 4ohm svc jbl cx 1200 subs

250 watts rms

sensitivity-90db

freq response 35-200 hz 

mounting depth 6-1/16”

cutout 11”

overall 12.25”

I can list theile perimeters if necessary 

amp is alpine mrv-m500 mono 500 watts, birth sheet says 543 amps.

i will be buying 4 awg wiring kit, soundqubed I’m thinking or $69 kicker amp kit. 

I have an alpine single din head unit now but getting a Pioneer DEH-80prs. 

Id like to have the port be vertical rectangular in middle or one per end doesn’t matter. I’d also very much appreciate a cut list due to having to figure in for the thickness of the .750 mdf. 

Thanks very much and hope to get started ASAP I bought a sheet of mdf, several large clamps, and a bottle of Titebond 3 glue and will be buying a air gun, 18 or 16 gauge brads 1.625” or should it be crown staples? Thanks again for any and all help. Looking forward to getting started. 

Also, the head unit points up at an angle, is there a mounting kit to give me a more straight angle on my head unit?

Keep the Alpine ul be happier, Pioneer HU's fail big time.

This was taken from JBL from the owners manual.

"CX Series subwoofers are optimized
to perform best in small, sealed,
vented and prefabricated band-pass
enclosures. While infinite-baffle
mounting of CX Series subs is possible, power handling will be greatly
compromised because there’s no
enclosed volume of air to prevent
the speaker’s cone from moving
past its limit. For this reason, infinite-
baffle mounting is not recommended
for CX Series subwoofers"

73456w9vbwevsdb

sodtbsorutnvsd

sdtuspdun sd d

f gsdfiusd gdf n

52 minutes ago, Jake Pace said:

you have some proof of that? I've had my 80prs since fall/winter of 2014, and the only issue I've had with it was a ground issue after moving it from my Explorer to my Tahoe that was installer error on my part. fixed ground, screen stopped flashing randomly.

he quoted what the manufacturer recommended. sometimes it's ok, most times not. have a little patience, and a few of the good designers will surely be along to help you out :) 

So here is a suggestion, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 4", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

cx1200.jpg

2x_SFPF_SB.jpg

Nice design, however I’m trying to figure out the braces, are they going to change anything? Is that wood dowels? Would it be a lot more trouble to put the port in the middle? I’d also like to add small 45s in each corner will you have to figure that into the dimensions? Does the dimensions have to be that exact for it to function correctly? If someone rounded up to the nearest inch and put in braces wherever they wanted would the sound change that much? I guess it’s just hard to figure out why things have to be so perfect. 

1 hour ago, Sloppy hamfingers said:

Nice design, however I’m trying to figure out the braces, are they going to change anything? Is that wood dowels? Would it be a lot more trouble to put the port in the middle? I’d also like to add small 45s in each corner will you have to figure that into the dimensions? Does the dimensions have to be that exact for it to function correctly? If someone rounded up to the nearest inch and put in braces wherever they wanted would the sound change that much? I guess it’s just hard to figure out why things have to be so perfect. 

With the port in the middle, you essentially add a extra port piece (which takes up space) therefore the overall box will need to be bigger to get the same volume and tuning. The braces, in this case look like wooden dowels (1" + in diameter), help reduce panel flex in the bigger panel as well as supporting the side that has the speaker (most weight) in it, i.e. the baffle. The braces are where they are for a reason.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

On 1/7/2018 at 2:25 AM, Jake Pace said:

80prs is one of the most popular head units in the car audio game... they work great and a lot of people have great success with them...

And OP

I would go with titebond 2 (easier to work with that 3). Also, if you have enough clamps and time you can technically build the box without screws/brads/nails/etc. if you let the box cure long enough under pressure (clamped together). Just might have to do a couple piece at a time and make sure you put it together in a certain order. 

Brads will work fine, just let the box sit for a day after building before beating on it to let the glue fully dry since brads don't have the best clamping strength.

As far as the headunit, we will need to see pics on how it is installed (what dash kit or whatever) to see if you can easily mod it or if it is the specific vehicle that forces it to be angled.

Also, Joe X's box looks good.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived