Second Skin Audio

box tuning question

77-AUDIO

I built a box the other day for a db drive WDX3K 10" that is 32 x 12 x 12. sub is forward facing, port is on opposite side side panel.  port is 4 x 4 x 18 with a .75" shim making the port 4 x 3.25.  It kills the lows 26-30 but that mid bass is like gone.  My question is can I cut the port down to say 14" long.  it doesnt need to kill the lows just need to be more tuned for daily music say 33 - 36 htz.

Please help.  

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
1.77cubes net tuned to 33htz.
DC audio 2.0k
CT Pro Audio 8" in front, 6.5 in rear

dc_audio.jpg

You sure Cam didnt build your box?

Chevy Sonic Wall (4) 15's on 10k Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209412-2015-chevy-sonicwall4-15s10klithiumlarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

(4) Fi SP4 15's | (2) Ampere 5Ks | Active! | Arc KS600.2 & KS125.2mini | CDT Silk Domes | Silver Flute 8s | 240Ah JY | US Alts

Jeep Wrangler JK (4) 8's in a 4th Order Build Log

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/209841-shadow-2016-jeep-wrangler-jk4th-order4-8sdc-35klarge-case-hairpin-us-alts/

IG @walledsonic

Well its built off the box I had in my kia that was built for the db drive euphoria ewx. And it hits the mids and the lows.  So I wonder if its the sub.  

and no cam didnt build my box  lol.  

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

If using .75" mdf I get a volume of 1.65 and tuning of 31.5 Hz. Its a little on the big side for a 10 which could be part of the issue, Also port area is low if you are running rated power.

db drive says 7.7in of port for 1.2 cube box.  

And I 13" of port. and power is a RF Prime 750.1

But wonder if I put in some bracing inside the box to take up 0.3 to 0.4 cubes of airspace would that help.  

Using torres says it will get the net volume down to 1.3^3 and bring the tuning up to 34.5 hz.  

thank you for all the help

4 hours ago, ckeeler11 said:

If using .75" mdf I get a volume of 1.65 and tuning of 31.5 Hz. Its a little on the big side for a 10 which could be part of the issue, Also port area is low if you are running rated power.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

The minimum port I would shoot for would be 14.5 sq. in. If you can open up the port that would take some volume up for you.  Also a ported enclosure acts like a sealed enclosure 1 octave above tuning so if you are tuned to 31 a full octave would be 62 Hz so should have some punch but Im thinking with the enclosure being close to 30% to large you are losing that.

ok, well I cant open the port up but I can take up some space.  to reduce the 30% overage of airspace.  

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

so would my only option be to add some bracing to take up the 30% of the extra space that I don't need in order to get the tuning closer to 35hz.

PPI dbl din
DC Level 3
DC audio 2.0k

dc_audio.jpg

Archived