Second Skin Audio

Four 8's or two 12's

schwarzl

Hey, currently I'm running a Taramps HD3000 on four 8" Hippos. If I remember correctly my box is 2.95 cubic feet after all displacements tuned to 33hz. I'm almost thinking of switching out the 8's for 2 American Bass XFL 12's (they fit the price point). I know the 12's have slightly more cone area than the 8's. Would I notice much of a change in output for it to be worth the switch? I was thinking the box for the XFLs would be 4 cubes tuned to 30hz after displacements. I should be able to squeeze that in my Jetta trunk. 

Switching from four 8"s to two 12"s, all else being equal, probably isn't going to be a huge improvement just by itself.  However, since you will also be going to a bigger box though that will contribute some as well though.  Chances are the 12"s will have a more even frequency response since most car audio 8"s tend to be pretty peaky in output, generally speaking.  In my opinion it would be worth the cost to upgrade and hassle of building a new box.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

42 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Switching from four 8"s to two 12"s, all else being equal, probably isn't going to be a huge improvement just by itself.  However, since you will also be going to a bigger box though that will contribute some as well though.  Chances are the 12"s will have a more even frequency response since most car audio 8"s tend to be pretty peaky in output, generally speaking.  In my opinion it would be worth the cost to upgrade and hassle of building a new box.  

Am i weird? but i hate 8" drivers. They are just not built, let me re type that,  CANT physically be built, to "work" correctly imho. Dont care what Ronnie is doing burp wise with his, dont care about ssa's new 8" driver (built at my favorite build house). I just dont like 8s for anything LOW END wise. 

Spider/softies , basket, xmax, coil depths, back plate shit...... i just dont care for em.  Maybe im high. But,... ill pass. 

1 hour ago, Kyblack76 said:

Am i weird? but i hate 8" drivers. They are just not built, let me re type that,  CANT physically be built, to "work" correctly imho. Dont care what Ronnie is doing burp wise with his, dont care about ssa's new 8" driver (built at my favorite build house). I just dont like 8s for anything LOW END wise. 

Spider/softies , basket, xmax, coil depths, back plate shit...... i just dont care for em.  Maybe im high. But,... ill pass. 

You aren't weird, well at least not in this regard ?  

8" drivers are for when you absolutely can't fit anything bigger.  They aren't real subs IMHO for exactly the reasons you described.  There just isn't enough room to have a decent sized coil and still have space for a spider big enough to allow some good excursion.  Real subs start at 10" and go up from there. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

12's.

Done.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

5 hours ago, Kyblack76 said:

shit, you don know about them fosgate p28's. ?

The 8's slam and get pretty low. It is probably my loudest setup yet. I love 8's because most people don't expect it. And I was trying to avoid filling the whole trunk. But getting two 12's is something I've been thinking about. Just don't want to waste the money and time if I won't really gain much.

Archived