It's not your amp and alternator you should be concerned with, it's your battery and anything connected to it

300, mounted as close to the battery as is practical

Use a proper bolt in ANL fuse holder too. The set screw type ones have no place in under the hood applications

https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/product/high-amperage-anl-fuse-holder/

250 works too

300 is standard fuse size for 0 gauge OFC

3 hours ago, crownvictoria31 said:

Ive been told by a few people that 250 should be more then enough. 

Explain why the 300 amp fuse for a 200amp alternator.

I believe that some alternators can actually output beyond their rated amperage. Hence the higher fuse rating of 250 but a rating of 200. I think 250 or 300 would work in your case. Regardless the fuse is just there for the worst case scenario, a short circuit, preventing excess amperage running through a wire - and heat / fire. Just make sure you fuse within 6 inches or so of the alternator and before you enter your battery. That way your wire is protected from the alternator hot side, and the battery hot side. If your hooking this straight into your amplifier then fuse according to the manufacturers specs.

Here is something I stumbled upon a while ago when searching up what size fuse for my mechman alternator. I know this is a different brand but it is the same idea:

Link: 

MECHMAN:

Your fuse should always be greater than your max amperage. Our Mechman alternators are underrated, so if you had one of our 270amp alternators you would need close to a 300 amp fuse. A little cushion goes a long way in preserving your electrical system and stereo components / accessories. I hope this helps.

Michael

[email protected]

Archived