Sonic Electronix

I have been having trouble with my DD-1. I have watched all the videos, read the manual countless times and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I have tried this out With 3 different radios with different results. I have no luck finding the max undistorted volume of my headunit, I get mixed readings. I’ve tried through the amp and the headunit with different results, 30, 33, 37. My headunit max out at 40 I have a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD along with a Kicker ZX750.1 and Precision Power PPI 900.4

C6B7790C-8CF9-4060-A492-0175E99BC7B4_zps

094D2FE2-465C-471B-9B57-9E5F30674164_zps

B7D46047-12AC-4B01-AE77-80999B63C560_zps

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, LoudPackRacing said:

For the headunit I was using 0db 40hz and 0db 1khz. 

That's the right way.  make sure any and all eq settings, bass boost, or any other audio modification settings are all set to flat or 0.  if you get the clipping indicator on solid at different numbers for each track, then use one click below the lower number to be your max clean volume from the head unit.

after that, disconnect all speaker outputs from the amps.  hook only mids n highs amp up, all gains/modifiers at 0 on the amp, use the 0db 1khz track, head unit at zero volume, connect dd1 to mids n highs amp as instructed in the manual (pay close attention to what it says).  then bring up your headunit to max clean volume, hopefully no solid clipping indicator yet, if no clip yet, then start to slowly turn up the gain on the amp until you get a solid light.  slowly turn back until it goes off.  congrats the mids n highs amp is set.

do the same for your sub amp, using the 0db 40hz track.

it can get confusing if you're breezing through the instructions.  I had to slow myself down and actually make sure i read every word and comprehended it.

1 hour ago, bmwking said:

That's the right way.  make sure any and all eq settings, bass boost, or any other audio modification settings are all set to flat or 0.  if you get the clipping indicator on solid at different numbers for each track, then use one click below the lower number to be your max clean volume from the head unit.

after that, disconnect all speaker outputs from the amps.  hook only mids n highs amp up, all gains/modifiers at 0 on the amp, use the 0db 1khz track, head unit at zero volume, connect dd1 to mids n highs amp as instructed in the manual (pay close attention to what it says).  then bring up your headunit to max clean volume, hopefully no solid clipping indicator yet, if no clip yet, then start to slowly turn up the gain on the amp until you get a solid light.  slowly turn back until it goes off.  congrats the mids n highs amp is set.

do the same for your sub amp, using the 0db 40hz track.

it can get confusing if you're breezing through the instructions.  I had to slow myself down and actually make sure i read every word and comprehended it.

Ok I will try everything again. You think a bad amp or head unit could cause issues with this?

Just now, LoudPackRacing said:

Ok I will try everything again. You think a bad amp or head unit could cause issues with this?

could be a multitude of things.  dirty amps, dirty head unit, bad rcas, won't really know until you go through it piece by piece.  make sure you go slow, read through everything twice and make sure you understand the instructions.  start with head unit only, get a consistent max volume, then do one amp at a time.  

that should reveal a bad amp or poor rca 

25 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

Do you even get a SIGNAL light on:???

Yes I get the signal light and 40hz blue light as well as the 1kHz light. I tried everything again and It seems like the radio is clipping at 28 out of 40. I was able to set the gain on my highs amp, it still doesn’t sound as good as when I had my kicker amp. At moderate volumes it sounds rough.Im running kicker Cs components and Ks 6x9s. The bass amp doesn’t seem to get a good signal I will try swapping rca cables to see if anything changes then I will try two other amps.

6 minutes ago, bmwking said:

sounds to me like the HU might be the problem, on my alpine 149BT my max undistorted is 28 out of 32 and it screams

I’ve had this unit since about 2011 I believe. I tried out the DD-1 in my friends tahoe whose system I installed and it works like a charm. I’m wondering why my car is so picky.

Archived