Second Skin Audio

Fi Sp4 + on AAK 4k Daily Box Design Help

Looking to switch to a single Sp4+ with some upgrades, but wondering what upgrades would suit a daily setup with it sealed off and firing into the cabin. ie. cooling option / 4,5 or 6 spiders? etc. https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4v2-series-sp4v215/

Amp: Apocalypse AAK-4000.1D https://deafbonce.com/amplifiers/apocalypse-aak-4000-1d

Electrical: Current - Mechman 240 A - two runs 1/0 ofc - D3400 reserve - D5100R starter. 

Will be getting either a 25 ah or 45 ah lithium bank to hook up to the D3400 to sort out my electrical, I figure this with the two agms will be enough to keep my voltage up. 

Have about 5 cubes to play with. Max Dimensions are as follows: 32 width x 16 height x 21.5 depth with 3/4" MDF as my wood. 

Figure bracing could be done with some wooden dowels HD might have some 1" or 1 1/2" ones that I can cut to length for bracing back to front and maybe top to bottom. Saw a pic of Joe's box and really liked the way it looked. 

Took a crack at WinISD again and got this;

With 4 cubic feet / tuned to 32 Hz:

I can see that I should have a supersonic filter at about 28 hz / where the power handling goes from 3500 rms down quickly when dipping below 28 hz

My port length seems ridiculously long?? I used Triticum's port area calculator as a guide to reach optimal port area of 104 in^2 but my length is at almost 60 inches?!? and my rear port velocity still goes up to about 33 m/s at tuning.

Side note - Front port air velocity doesn't go past 0 m/s ? is this because it is meant for band pass enclosures?

682112089_airvelocity.thumb.png.01973dafac09ccc0e7f01ada00cef368.png1784488266_portareafisp415.png.45c80a1e8bd20a81e8751f14720a7eff.png

Here is the t/s parameters I used in case that helps. I Let it calculate Qts entered the rest. Only thing that is wonky is the Cms seems to not be 0.784 they don't provide a unit so I don't know what I should be using ? (according to fi's website -https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4v2-series-sp4v215/

2018440497_tsparameters.png.1a2c4fa64ff3c050c43493dc439a926d.png

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Still learning WinISD and designing boxes so any advice is welcome

Cheers

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please don't built your box with that much port. 60-65" around 30" long. 70" at 34" long tops IN MY EXPERIENCE. My Maxima was originally a Fi team 15 and it peaked @31 hz. I have pics and proof if needed. Pics of the enclosure as well as specs also. Box was 32 wide 17 tall and 22 deep with a 15.5x4x31" port on it. Slammed like no other. I'll post pics. 

Also. DO NOT GET ANY EXTRA SPIDERS!! You're gonna have a hard enough time breaking that sub in bone stock as is on that 4k. If anything option the woofer with one less spider. I would lean away from a 4-inch coil single sub for daily. It's the whole reason I swapped from a team woofer to a sundown zv5. They're not very musical with anything less than 2500+ watts RMS. The team 3 or sp3 would be my choice. everybody is different and everybody likes different things I'm just giving you my honest opinion. 

45 minutes ago, DiBo said:

Please don't built your box with that much port. 60-65" around 30" long. 70" at 34" long tops IN MY EXPERIENCE. My Maxima was originally a Fi team 15 and it peaked @31 hz. I have pics and proof if needed. Pics of the enclosure as well as specs also. Box was 32 wide 17 tall and 22 deep with a 15.5x4x31" port on it. Slammed like no other. I'll post pics. 

Also. DO NOT GET ANY EXTRA SPIDERS!! You're gonna have a hard enough time breaking that sub in bone stock as is on that 4k. If anything option the woofer with one less spider. I would lean away from a 4-inch coil single sub for daily. It's the whole reason I swapped from a team woofer to a sundown zv5. They're not very musical with anything less than 2500+ watts RMS. The team 3 or sp3 would be my choice. everybody is different and everybody likes different things I'm just giving you my honest opinion. 

Thanks for all the info man

I’m wanting to have loudness but also be musical. Do you think the 3 inch coil would better suit that ? Or does the added thermal limit of a 4 make it better in a daily?

When you say 2500+ rms are you referring to an amps power at 4 and 2 ohms? 

13 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Thanks for all the info man

I’m wanting to have loudness but also be musical. Do you think the 3 inch coil would better suit that ? Or does the added thermal limit of a 4 make it better in a daily?

When you say 2500+ rms are you referring to an amps power at 4 and 2 ohms? 

These subs are power hungry. If you want musical go for the efficiency of a 3-inch coil woofer. My buddy Mike runs sp4's and he has an Ampere TFHE 9k on them clamping over 7k. They're SPL oriented. For loud daily music I'd opt for a 3" coil driver. Especially with your amp choice which is an awesome single driver amplifier even at 1ohm. My sub was wired down and it took it no sweat. 4" coil drivers are monsters and they most definitely have their place. If I were to do it again I would put a Crescendo 6k or Deaf Bonce Apocalypse 5500.1 on it and tune to around 38-40hz just for numbers haha. For music... 3" coil driver tuned to 31-33hz for smashing daily lows. I've done a ton of trial-and-error over the past 18 months. Single sub team woofer was nice but I wanted bandwidth and music over sheer power and numbers. The sub did get super low tho with a 31" long port.

Imo the Aak40001d would be a good choice for a single 3" coil driver. Especially wired to 1 ohm or .7 ( dual 1.4 will read 1ohm for months!! Until it breaks in). If you are going to go with an sp4 get the 5500. 1. All day. 

8 minutes ago, DiBo said:

These subs are power hungry. If you want musical go for the efficiency of a 3-inch coil woofer. My buddy Mike runs sp4's and he has an Ampere TFHE 9k on them clamping over 7k. They're SPL oriented. For loud daily music I'd opt for a 3" coil driver. Especially with your amp choice which is an awesome single driver amplifier even at 1ohm. My sub was wired down and it took it no sweat. 4" coil drivers are monsters and they most definitely have their place. If I were to do it again I would put a Crescendo 6k or Deaf Bonce Apocalypse 5500.1 on it and tune to around 38-40hz just for numbers haha. For music... 3" coil driver tuned to 31-33hz for smashing daily lows. I've done a ton of trial-and-error over the past 18 months. Single sub team woofer was nice but I wanted bandwidth and music over sheer power and numbers. The sub did get super low tho with a 31" long port.

Imo the Aak40001d would be a good choice for a single 3" coil driver. Especially wired to 1 ohm or .7 ( dual 1.4 will read 1ohm for months!! Until it breaks in). If you are going to go with an sp4 get the 5500. 1. All day. 

I plan on wiring down but would I have enough electrical for a 5500 At 0.5 ohms? It’s only a 240 alt and two agms with 25 or 45 ah lithium. 

17 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

I plan on wiring down but would I have enough electrical for a 5500 At 0.5 ohms? It’s only a 240 alt and two agms with 25 or 45 ah lithium. 

With the lithium added you'd most definitely have enough juice. If you get the 5500.1 the sp4 will be nice. 

Glad I didn’t order up the 4000 already lol. Getting that 5500 and the sp4. I modeled winisd with the sp4+ but should I get the sp4 instead? The + adds another stacked magnet and something called an aluminum compression plug.

13 hours ago, Joshdashef said:

Looking to switch to a single Sp4+ with some upgrades, but wondering what upgrades would suit a daily setup with it sealed off and firing into the cabin. ie. cooling option / 4,5 or 6 spiders? etc. https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4v2-series-sp4v215/

Amp: Apocalypse AAK-4000.1D https://deafbonce.com/amplifiers/apocalypse-aak-4000-1d

Electrical: Current - Mechman 240 A - two runs 1/0 ofc - D3400 reserve - D5100R starter. 

Will be getting either a 25 ah or 45 ah lithium bank to hook up to the D3400 to sort out my electrical, I figure this with the two agms will be enough to keep my voltage up. 

Have about 5 cubes to play with. Max Dimensions are as follows: 32 width x 16 height x 21.5 depth with 3/4" MDF as my wood. 

Figure bracing could be done with some wooden dowels HD might have some 1" or 1 1/2" ones that I can cut to length for bracing back to front and maybe top to bottom. Saw a pic of Joe's box and really liked the way it looked. 

Took a crack at WinISD again and got this;

With 4 cubic feet / tuned to 32 Hz:

I can see that I should have a supersonic filter at about 28 hz / where the power handling goes from 3500 rms down quickly when dipping below 28 hz

My port length seems ridiculously long?? I used Triticum's port area calculator as a guide to reach optimal port area of 104 in^2 but my length is at almost 60 inches?!? and my rear port velocity still goes up to about 33 m/s at tuning.

Side note - Front port air velocity doesn't go past 0 m/s ? is this because it is meant for band pass enclosures?

682112089_airvelocity.thumb.png.01973dafac09ccc0e7f01ada00cef368.png1784488266_portareafisp415.png.45c80a1e8bd20a81e8751f14720a7eff.png

Here is the t/s parameters I used in case that helps. I Let it calculate Qts entered the rest. Only thing that is wonky is the Cms seems to not be 0.784 they don't provide a unit so I don't know what I should be using ? (according to fi's website -https://ficaraudio.com/product/sp4v2-series-sp4v215/

2018440497_tsparameters.png.1a2c4fa64ff3c050c43493dc439a926d.png

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Still learning WinISD and designing boxes so any advice is welcome

Cheers

15?

Shakin not Stirred....my buildhttp://www.stevemead...ngle-cab-build/412 CVX

And put a sealed enclosure in your trunk cut a hole in your deck and call it ported :lol2:

Archived