Sundown Audio

Mosconi Amp - BS?

Qwiz

Hello.

I have a nasty issue right here and I just wanted to share it with you. It's not going to be a short post, therefore I advise you to ignore it if you're not in the mood to listen to this crap.

Frustrated bass head has his first budget audio equipment in summer 2010 installed in a workshop. Consisted of: 1x Pioneer 4100SD HU + Kole Audio QX-620 Amp + SPL Dynamics v300-s4 in a ported pre fab box. Car back then: Peugeot 206. Me: happy as sh. I was more than satisfied with the bass output. I had no separate amp for mids and highs, but I had no problem with that. I have enjoyed that setup 4 years long and had no issues with it. Even if the bass was louder and not matching the mids and highs, I was f enjoying it, it was very clean.

After 4 years I had to move to another country, leaving the car to my parents. Nostalgia kicked in. After 2 years I got a new car (Kia Rio). 1 month after its purchase I went straight away to a professional car stereo workshop and without any knowledge I have let myself advised on which components are best for my needs. Back then I was eager to have the OEM Radio left intact. I didn't know at that time about the fact that a lot of OEM stereo manufacturers modify the stereo in such a way that as you turn up the volume the bass gets cut out, preventing their cheap speakers to distort, thus not interfering with the warranty. Inspite all of this, the dealer promised me everything's gonna be alright. The setup which we agreed upon was this: 1x Mosconi ONE 120.2 for the door speakers - Gladen RS 16, 1x Mosconi ONE 240.2 for the sub - Gladen RS 12. Everything sounded like crap. I was not getting anything under 60-70Hz, everything sounded weird, so far away from what I was used to.

Anyway I stayed with this system exactly as it was installed by the dealer until October last year, when I decided to change the Headunit. I thought that was the root of the problem. I was still afraid to take matters in my own hands so I went to another workshop and have them change it. So they did. The new Headunit was a 2 DIN Pioneer mvvh-a200, which now I consider it another big mistake I did. After this upgrade I was getting the low end spectrum but still it sounded muddy, nothing from what I remember it should have been. But I thought it was ok.

Months have passed and I was getting more frustrated. Something is wrong I was keep telling myself. So finally I have decided to see wtf is going on here in my car. I took all things apart and saw how the wiring was done. I have noticed the ground wire from the bass amp (mounted under the driver seat, while the other under the passenger one) was 2 meters long. I thought hmm, maybe this is the reason why. So I have shortened the wire myself made it to about half a meter, took the paint off a good spot and... nothing changed. Apart from this, the power wires from the amps were joined together to one single fuse, the from the fuse to the + Battery again joined to one cable shoe. I have changed this as well. I took 2 AWG from + battery then to a Fuseblock then to the amps. The Bass Amp I have it put in the trunk, and I have changed the power and ground wires for each amp, got new RCAs, new Sub (JL Audio 12w3v3 and new enclosure 49 Litres ported, this too from JL).

I have gained a little bit of knowledge and I am still frustrated. It all stil sounds like crap. The only variables left are:

1) Mosconi Amp

2) Headunit, which doesn't have the Sound Retriever Technology, plus its 2V RCA outputs

Please help me, I don't know that to do anymore. I will try at the end of the next month to change both the amp (thinking about JL rd 1000) and the Headunit (Pioneer 80 prs), but what if it will still sound like crap? I would definitely go full crazy.

Thank you for 'listening'. Bass Heads Unite

Yes I have Phase shifted too, no difference. Bass is very unclean. That Amp is supposed to give 690W @ 4 Ohms bridged. Gain is about half way, the volume on HU doesn't matter, it  it just sounds muddy no matter what I do.

LP is at minimum @ 40Hz. It sounds muddy no matter the settings. I know how to set it up. If you could just hear it you would know. I should have mentioned in those 3 years I listened to it as it was with high volume everyday inspite of the quality. Maybe it's the amp it's broken but this crap didn't go for once into protect or any other bad symptoms. I want to strongly believe it's a b.s. amplifier. ANd the Kole Audio which I used to have in my old car isn't a wide known manufacturer, but still it sounded great.

Have it at minimum which is 40Hz if I'm not mistaken. If I set it higher to 80Hz or so by moving it clockwise you can hear the difference in output, but its still unclean. I don't think it's a matter of crossover settings.

Guys lol. I have specified every cable was changed. Every wire has been changed. 40Hz is not bad and wouldn't influence this unclean output if it was set higher let's say 70 or 90Hz. It's also not a ground issue. Have tested the resistance from GND Amp to ground spot with DMM got 0,4. And from GND Amp to chassis trunk it's 0,4 Ohms. Am I wrong here?

I don't agree this amp is one of the best. Doesn;t seem like it. 

Archived