Sonic Electronix

So I have this piece of MDF sitting in my garage waiting to get cut up for my new build until it hits me. Im here struggling to remove my box for 2 15's with 4 baffles and it makes me realize how heavy MDF is. I've been whipping my car around the past couple days and without the weight of that MDF, I really notice how different it drives... and how much better I do on gas, which is KILLING me.And that box was only 2 15's. My new box is for 4 15's and dare I go MDF, the design involves doubled up 3/4 all around, and triple 3/4 baffle on the front for the plexi glass window... it would weigh atleast 400 pounds. so lets just say I use birch instead, even though its about 14 dollars more a sheet, will it be worth it in the end? Is the weight difference that noticeable, and does it have a different sound than mdf?

teamsundown-1.jpg

I perfer it also... its MUCH more lighter, I built 2 of the same boxes once, one was MDF and one was Birch...It seemed that the birch box weighed the same with the sub(50lbs) as the MDF box did w/o the sub...

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

yeah the screws grab better on that wood and will sink in without counter sinking them most of the time. the one thing i dont like about birch are the splinters. which really isnt a huge deal, but MDF is smoother on edges and rounded edges. probably not enough to effect your decision either way

How much is a sheet of birch aroud you guys compared to mdf? I saw he said about 15 more a sheet, but whats the overall price that your getting? Its something im going to have to look into.

Edited by PaulO2288

Guest MegaloManiac

god yes go birch!

- lighter

- easier on blades

- screws easily

- saves you money by not putting money into the Swear-Jar, no headaches

Guest MegaloManiac

yes. they do. its usually called Birch Ply. they come in like 8'x4' sheets.

if you can find trupan thats also light weight, looks just like mdf costs twice as much but is twice as light compared to mdf.