Sonic Electronix

yes. they do. its usually called Birch Ply. they come in like 8'x4' sheets.

if you can find trupan thats also light weight, looks just like mdf costs twice as much but is twice as light compared to mdf.

Hmmm never seen it, Unless does it have a light shade of red tint to it?

birch ply looks like this

IMG_1211.jpg

shavings have more of a pink to it

IMG_1238.jpg

And they are really that much easier to work with and half the weight? Wow im deffintally going to make a new box with the improvements ive been wantitng to do with birch then.

All I build with now is birch. It is noticeabaly lighter, harder on blades and bits, cost more and can give you nasty splinters in the fingers till you get use to working with it.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Guest MegaloManiac
whats the weight diffrence on a 4 x 8 sheet between the two . also do you kno anyone that have a wall in there car or truck that uses birch .i dont

about half the weight, and is stiffer(Eb describes it , the higher the number the stiffer it is and less likely to flex)

Birch ply:-

Eb = 3400 N/mm^2 perpendicular to grain

4600 N/mm^2 parallel to grain

Density = 12.4 kg/m^2

MDF:-

Eb = 2200 N/mm^2

Density = 10.8 kg/m^2

so if i were to build 2 exact same boxes with the same specs except use mdf for one and birchply for the other. The mdf will flex Twice as much.(flex is bad)

Edited by MegaloManiac

How much is a sheet of birch aroud you guys compared to mdf? I saw he said about 15 more a sheet, but whats the overall price that your getting? Its something im going to have to look into.

4 x 8 feet sheet of MDF cost $22.60 at my Lowe's. Birch of the same thickness is $39.99.

whats the weight diffrence on a 4 x 8 sheet between the two . also do you kno anyone that have a wall in there car or truck that uses birch .i dont

I do. My bro (menace89) is curently building one. But is already at the $120 mark for 3 sheets of birch and still needs more..... But it will Def be worth it because his camry wont be dragging its ass around like if he were to by mdf.