Second Skin Audio

Looking for my next subs.

Scotnemily

Ok so I went back out and cleaned up the speaker wires I cut about 24 feet of wire that wasn’t needed any more. It is a lot cleaner now. Still don’t like the power and ground wires and I need to clean up the others some too so I can put to cover back over them.

3 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Yeah I really need to clean up the rats nest of wires. Right now though I am trying to figure out what is going on the the subs without pulling the box back out. I know the subs we not exactly 2 ohms per coil closer to 2.4 ohms. But I was really close to. 2 ohm load before I changed them to parallel wiring. Now I am about 1.97 ohms. Not sure why.

I'm sure u already know DC ohms don't read same as speaker . A 4 ohm sub reads like 3.7 or 3.9 ohms but that still doesn't explain what's up with the wiring . If u got 3 coils are hooked up it'd be like 1.33 , really no way if knowing without taking subs back out but u knew that already lol. Is there anyway you can run a set of wires out for each voice coil to a distro block so u never have to pull ur box out ever again? Like 2 buss bars, one end goes to amp and other to join all negative from all 4 coils and one for positive for all 4 coils? I know it adds more to upset the A D D factor when u look at it all but will make swapping impedance a snap, just label each wire per coil and should be all good.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

So here are some reluctant pictures. 

wB1obTB.jpg

this is the mess of power wires that ppi amp was a pain to get the 4 gauge into it. Even with 4 ga to 8 ga reducers they didn’t want to fit correctly. I put heat shrink over the positive reducer, then used electrical tape as a strain reliever. Not pretty but works for now. For the Synergy Amp. I had to tape over the positive dual input and I put a piece of heat shrink between them just to insure there was no issue shorting out. Again not pretty but it works. As you can see I have a ton of extra wire that really should be trimmed but I might be relocating the batteries in the spring time.

Here is the rats nest...

Qi6mKLT.jpg

here is the wires I was able to remove.

8e1SIEl.jpg

Here it is after. Still need to fasten them down and make it pretty but a ton better with all of the extra wire out.

J9wtiu8.jpg

I cleaned up that black mark on the white amp. It is where my box had rubbed against it. Luckily almost all came off easy.

Thanks I used to have it with a pair of ProArt 100s they were the ultra rare competition version or the A1200. Same physical size and 1600 rms at .25 ohms. They were stolen though so I no longer have them. It was a sad day.... 

So after thinking about it I am questioning if I do indeed have 2 dual 2 ohm subs. I might have one and 1 dual 4 hooked up. I wish now I had written down the exact readings from each sub and coil. I think both of these subs measured under 3 ohms per coil and around 2.4 one was maybe 2.7 if I am remembering correctly. the other sub I have measures close to 4 ohms maybe 4.2, I don't remember. Also the boxes they came in were marked as dual 2 ohm subs. When the box was wired in series/parallel i was close to a 2 ohm load. I don't remember now what it was, maybe 2.4 and I though it was good since that was close to what each sub coil was running. Now I am seeing 1.97 if it was a dual 4 and a dual 2 hooked in parallel I would be closer to 1.3 assuming they were exactly 2 and 4 ohm loads.... 

I emailed American bass also to get confirmation on what the reading of the coils should be for those subs. maybe this model reads a little different. I thought it was worth a shot. 

Also if anyone here has some they can measure and verify their readings that would be awesome!

I didn't think about that, kinda does seem like something is off but if even a dual 4 and a dual 2 in parallel would give like 1.5 right? Ur closer to 2 ohms if I remember rigt. And DC impedance on 1.5 would likely be lower like 1.2something, I THINK. you know what u have to do lol, man I'm glad I don't have a trunk setup sometimes, alot of work to get those out! And someone beat me to it but that ppi art is sexy ASF!

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

thanks. I might call AB on my lunch break and see if they can tell me anything. I am not sure how they respond to emails. either way I doubt I will have a chance to pull the box out before the weekend anyway. It sux but I don't have much time through the week working 2 jobs....

I wouldn't expect an email back, I think when I got my pair of es12 I sent them a few emails and never got one back but ended up calling and talking to someone pretty quickly. And I think the spec sheet has DC impedance on it....nm I'd has nomial impedance not DC .

OMG!! I feel like such a dumb ass!! I also think I know what the problem is. 

I just got off the phone with American Bass tech. First thing he asked was what does your meter read when you touch the red and black leads and set it to ohms. Because if it is not zero then you have to subtract that from your reading. Duh! I know that, but I didn’t even think about testing it. Also I am using my elcheapo meter when I could be using a calibrated flue... anyway guess what I get .9 ohms. So my actual reading is 1 ohm on the box currently. Logic tells me that if one sub got disconnected and only 1 dual 2 ohm sub was connected in parallel then I would be getting 1 ohm. This would also explain why one sub is working and the other not as much. It isn’t on. :) anyway I think this is the problem so I do have to pull the box out.

Archived