Second Skin Audio

Looking for my next subs.

Scotnemily

I am considering changing up my subs. Currently using some American Bass xr 12”s. Nothing wrong with them, but I am having issues powering them correctly. With my current amp I can either under power them, or way over power them. If I run the amp @ 2 ohms I am putting about 750 rms to each sub. Or I can go to .5 ohms and throw 2k rms to each one. Subs are rated at 1200 rms. I have been told they can take more. Anyway I am kind of looking for something in the 2000 rms range for subs. I would like to stay under $600 each. I want something that will have a good sound quality with music, but get loud too. They also need to work with 2.25 - 2.5 cubic ft per sub Ported. I will be reusing my current box. I have looked at the SSA xcon and zcon. I am really strongly leaning towards synergy wfo 2k. Also I love the way the Deaf Bonce DB-SA312 look. But at $650 they are more then I would like to pay. Also not sure how good they sound. Curt over at Synergy says the WFO 2k subs have a really good sound quality and are not just a SPL sub. I have been impressed so far with Synergy so that is one reason I am leaning towards them. They do run about $550 each though so if there is another good option for a lot less I would definitely consider it. Also I must say the absolute cheapest option for me would be to buy a single 12” American bass xr dual 4 ohm. Then I could run my amp at 1 ohm and the speakers would be happy. I already have 1 brand new xr dual 4 setting in the box. I would kind of like to try something else though. Thanks

I am running a Synergy WFO 2.1D.

thanks for the suggestion, but right now I am only willing to consider going with 2 12”s that will work in the box I have. I will also probably buy another Synergy Amp and wire both at 1 ohm vs one at .5 ohms.

Man I can't believe ur unhappy with the xrs , awesome sub, my opinion is get another d4 xr ND let em eat. Me personally I'd let 2k each rip. The xr is a step up from the xfl and the xfl laughed at 2k lol. I just picked up 3 tnt 15s cause they are supposed to have alot of sq and still get it in the bottom end and are 1500rms. Have u looked at the hdx4 from soundqubed? Sqakes sum killer subs also.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

I wouldn’t say I am unhappy with the subs. They sound great. I am scared to throw more power at them. That is what it really comes down too. I want more output then I am getting at my current power. I am afraid if I throw more at them I will blow perfectly good subs. I really should just carefully adjust my gains at .5 ohms until I get closer to 1200-1600 and see how they like it and how I like it. I would be almost doubling the power to them so I should gain something noticeable. I can’t help looking at car audio. Every since I was 12 I used to look at old crutchfield magazines and pick out audio gear based on specs and appearance. I could spend hours doing this. That was almost 30 years ago. I have not kicked the habit. I also keep getting pulled to the synergy wfo 2k subs. Curt sent me a video from the build house test. I wish I could hear them. Anyway I am still keeping my eyes open, but might pump up the power a little. 

9 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

I wouldn’t say I am unhappy with the subs. They sound great. I am scared to throw more power at them. That is what it really comes down too. I want more output then I am getting at my current power. I am afraid if I throw more at them I will blow perfectly good subs. I really should just carefully adjust my gains at .5 ohms until I get closer to 1200-1600 and see how they like it and how I like it. I would be almost doubling the power to them so I should gain something noticeable. I can’t help looking at car audio. Every since I was 12 I used to look at old crutchfield magazines and pick out audio gear based on specs and appearance. I could spend hours doing this. That was almost 30 years ago. I have not kicked the habit. I also keep getting pulled to the synergy wfo 2k subs. Curt sent me a video from the build house test. I wish I could hear them. Anyway I am still keeping my eyes open, but might pump up the power a little. 

I'm the same way dude, never satisfied with what I have and want to try new stuff!  Grab a dd-1, set em clean and let em rip you aren't gonna blow em once they soften up they r gonna love the power.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Thanks. I don't have access to a DD-1 unless I bought one, which I have thought about. I do have access to a good Oscope and fluke at work though all of it is calibrated regularly. We test wires and stuff on military aircraft so we have to keep stuff calibrated. 

17 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Thanks. I don't have access to a DD-1 unless I bought one, which I have thought about. I do have access to a good Oscope and fluke at work though all of it is calibrated regularly. We test wires and stuff on military aircraft so we have to keep stuff calibrated. 

Instead if new subs, what's $200 on a piece of equipment you will use everything you mess with a new install? Hell use it once and sell it for half price ND u still get a good deal IMHO . I've been using an oscope for lat 25 years to set gains on my amps and Im saving Nickle's for a dd1so much easier . My current oscope is my snap on zues lol

Archived