Second Skin Audio

American Bass VFL-8D4 opinions.

Scotnemily

So playing around with an idea I ordered some American Bass VFL 8” subs. They yellow ones. I ordered them because i thought if I was actually getting them they would be worth the price I was paying ($77) each. However it is another amazon order where they have pictures and specs from more than one sub. They are listed as the cheaper XD8 subs (black ones) but some of the specs are from the yellow, and some not. Some pictures are the VFL, some are the XD8.  3 of the 4 came in today. Not sure why the last one was delayed as it was purchased at the same time from the same seller and also said it would be here today. Anyway I received 2 of the yellow VFL’s and one of the XD8. Not sure what the other one will be. Is either one a decent sub? I was thinking about using 4 8” behind the 3rd row in my Yukon. Something the I could easily remove when I need the space. Anyone have experience with either the XD8 or the yellow VFL8? If I get a second XD8 tomorrow I will have to make a decision which 2 if either to keep. Thanks for the help.

VFL is American Bass top of the line competition product and if you got even 2 of those subs for the price of the 4 is a great deal. But if the subs say American Bass on the dust cap it’s the XD , they would say VFL if they were the good ones both are yellow.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

The XD subs still are very good. Easy way to determine would be the XD has a 2inch voice coil and the VFL has a 2.5inch voice coil.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

So here are some pictures.

03Lrmnq.jpg

uQQyrmW.jpg

and here is the box.

FqBlyF7.jpg

here are the other 2 box is the same but the other picture is checked.

bH4WEkd.jpg

gFvD1I9.jpg

h3ulf8f.jpg

so the yellows ones say they are VFL and they are the version 1 from reading about them. The version 2 black and say VFL on the cap. At least from what I have seen online. I might be wrong.

I work for Amazon.

The reason why is delayed bus it got lost during order packing or something as simple as the rebiner put it in wrong schute and it was picked by packer for wrong order and when scanned he put it in overage bin and it has to go through problem solve and go through the whole process again. Or if someone is lazy it will sit in overage or problem solve bin for weeks, in this case in 3 days they will just pull another and it should make it through

9 hours ago, AaronT said:

I work for Amazon.

The reason why is delayed bus it got lost during order packing or something as simple as the rebiner put it in wrong schute and it was picked by packer for wrong order and when scanned he put it in overage bin and it has to go through problem solve and go through the whole process again. Or if someone is lazy it will sit in overage or problem solve bin for weeks, in this case in 3 days they will just pull another and it should make it through

that make since. I didn’t bother to call and complain as I didn’t have to have them all today. Once I get the other on in and see what it is I will have to decide what I am keeping and what I am sending back. 

so is the $77 a decent price for either of these? Looks like the yellow with the VFL on the back tend to go for $130 or more. Kind of hard to track them down exactly since some have the (ouch) <---  :) (push terminals) had to leave the auto correct in because it is funny. and some have the leads like mine.

Yeah 77 is way fucking decent

I have 3 AB dealers near me (AB itself, the "company" {warehouse where shipments from SZ china} go to ) us located in Ohio as well, about 2 hours from me. I believe the xd 8 sells for $89 plus tax and the VFL IS 199 plus tax.

Ya done good.

The reason why I'm sure is all the vfls now say vfl on cap and have that ribbed surround like the xfl.

Aside from that the motors and baskets are identical

Good to know. thanks for the help M8! Now I have to find specs for a box to test them out. I have been trying to locate some numbers. seems like AB might not list the best numbers. some people say 1ft^3 per sub and others say this is too large and .7ft^ works better. I might build a sealed enclosure vs a ported for them since it would be a lot quicker and easier to build. Unless someone knows form experience a box volume that works good for these.

Archived