Second Skin Audio

JL ho box design insight? Port over top of subs?

So it all started when I thought to myself,” if two subs are this good, four would be amazing!” 
         Problem is, room is a little tight as it is, but I figured that I could fit four if I wrap my port over the top of the subs. As in 4 subs firing up and the port over the top of the subs. It’s a bit more extreme design than the old Jl ho boxes, where the channeled the port over the top of the cone. Are these good ideas? What kind of effect does it have on the sound when you do somthing like this? Am I an idiot for believing this is a good idea? Any insight would be helpful, or even just your thoughts, comments or concerns.

try It if you don’t like it build another one that’s what car audio is about... but my plan when I had my trailblazer was going to be somewhat what you are describing... but it was. 6th order the rear ports firing into the front chamber and the ports from the rear chamber made the port for the front chamber... never got it done though

14 hours ago, Gunzo Zabuza said:

So it all started when I thought to myself,” if two subs are this good, four would be amazing!” 
         Problem is, room is a little tight as it is, but I figured that I could fit four if I wrap my port over the top of the subs. As in 4 subs firing up and the port over the top of the subs. It’s a bit more extreme design than the old Jl ho boxes, where the channeled the port over the top of the cone. Are these good ideas? What kind of effect does it have on the sound when you do somthing like this? Am I an idiot for believing this is a good idea? Any insight would be helpful, or even just your thoughts, comments or concerns.

So you’re talking about the port on the same side as the subs? Either way. You will be good putting the port anywhere as long as it isn’t behind the subwoofers, like subs front and port back. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

This is what my mind thinks of as a good idea,  it just wondering if I was dumb for thinking that, or if there is somthing I’m missing. If this has been tryed before and was total crap. The closest concept to be found is the old school jl boxes, but I don’t think they make em anymore.

image.jpg

27 minutes ago, Gunzo Zabuza said:

This is what my mind thinks of as a good idea,  it just wondering if I was dumb for thinking that, or if there is somthing I’m missing. If this has been tryed before and was total crap. The closest concept to be found is the old school jl boxes, but I don’t think they make em anymore.

image.jpg

The ho wedges are chamber coupled slot Port designs

The reason they did it like that was to get all the port area needed while keeping box a normal size.

51 minutes ago, Gunzo Zabuza said:

image.jpg

That would conflict air flow. Just take the top portion off and have the port in the same sense coming out the top or coming out the back. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived