Supercap balancing?

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I know after you wire some 3000 farad caps up and make a bank with a balancing board the bank isn’t  no where near 3000 farads. How does that math and science work? Making banks is one of the only things I haven’t learned how to do. That and designing properly tuned 6th order enclosures. And maybe a couple other things I can’t think of right now lol! I wanna make a 1000 farad Maxwell capacitor bank or somewhere close to. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Each is 2.7 volts or 2.85 volts and 3000 farads....you need 6 to make a bank to charge at car charging voltages....you wire them in series’s...every cap wired in series doubles voltage but cuts capacitance in half...so a bank of 6 would be capable of charging up to 16.2 for the 2.7 caps and 17.1 for the 2.85 caps but would only be 500 farads 

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

Good looking out dude, Thank you! But if I make 2 of those, how would I do that to achieve 1000 farads but not combine the voltage of each of the 500 farad banks so it’s still a 16.2 bank? Or can I wire something up to make 1 1000 farad 16.2v bank? And how will that interact with a 14.8 volt alternator and a 12v agm battery under the hood? And do I need balancing boards to achieve the capacitance that I’m seeking?

I’ll use this bank of limitless caps as an example....6 individual caps are strapped together in series to make a bank....when all the caps are strapped like pictured you’re left with a positive and negative post/stud on each side... 1 bank is good for 16.2 volts of charging with 500 farads of capacitance....if you took 2 identical banks and wired the 2 banks with both negatives and positives connected it would keep voltage capabilities the same (16.2) but double capacitance (1000 farads) 

spacer.png

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

Capacitors will charge to what ever you charge them to.... 13,14,15 with a max of up to 16.2 per bank 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

Best Scores at events…

40 minutes ago, kalilac619 said:

I’ll use this bank of limitless caps as an example....6 individual caps are strapped together in series to make a bank....when all the caps are strapped like pictured you’re left with a positive and negative post/stud on each side... 1 bank is good for 16.2 volts of charging with 500 farads of capacitance....if you took 2 identical banks and wired the 2 banks with both negatives and positives connected it would keep voltage capabilities the same (16.2) but double capacitance (1000 farads) 

spacer.png

So wire each bank in series then wire banks together parallel? And how much rms can one 500 farad bank support? Is it 4000 rms like the 500 farad xs superbanks? And where do balancing boards come into play?

33 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

So wire each bank in series then wire banks together parallel? And how much rms can one 500 farad bank support? Is it 4000 rms like the 500 farad xs superbanks? And where do balancing boards come into play?

Series will increase voltage of each cell linearly so long as each cell is resting at the same voltage. If your cells are not equal then put all cells into parallel wiring to passively balance them.

Parallel wiring: Like polarities are attached to one another. Will increase capacitance of each cell linearly, i'll get back to that.

BatteryPack3.png?resize=740%2C415

Series wiring: Swap polarities when connecting each cell to one another, so a positive and positive or negative and negative never touch one another. Will increase voltage of cells linearly, but will reduce capacitance. 

BatteryPack4.png?resize=740%2C415

The reason we use a bank of caps in a 6S1P or even a 6S2P (6 series and 1 or 2 parallel) configuration is to have the maximum voltage allowance of these banks above our normal charging voltage of cars.  If you arrange 5 cells that are 2.7 V each in series you will end up at 13.5 V maximum - too low! 6 cells in series will net you a max voltage of 16.2 - higher than the standard 14.8, but will be compatible with our cars. *xs also offers cells that rest at 2.85 with 3,150 farads instead of just 3000*

Easy way to think about it is to just divide the capacitance of a cell by the amount of cells in series. 3000 / 6 will net you 500 Farads. Now just add each bank of these 6 cells together till you achieve the desired capacitance. Connect them up with like polarities like the first diagram and you end up with a bank of 500, 1000, 1500 Farads, etc. that can be charged up to 16.2 volts but will gladly charge at anything below, even 1 volt! Our normal charge voltage of 14.8ish won't cause any harm to them. 

3 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Series will increase voltage of each cell linearly so long as each cell is resting at the same voltage. If your cells are not equal then put all cells into parallel wiring to passively balance them.

Parallel wiring: Like polarities are attached to one another. Will increase capacitance of each cell linearly, i'll get back to that.

BatteryPack3.png?resize=740%2C415

Series wiring: Swap polarities when connecting each cell to one another, so a positive and positive or negative and negative never touch one another. Will increase voltage of cells linearly, but will reduce capacitance. 

BatteryPack4.png?resize=740%2C415

The reason we use a bank of caps in a 6S1P or even a 6S2P (6 series and 1 or 2 parallel) configuration is to have the maximum voltage allowance of these banks above our normal charging voltage of cars.  If you arrange 5 cells that are 2.7 V each in series you will end up at 13.5 V maximum - too low! 6 cells in series will net you a max voltage of 16.2 - higher than the standard 14.8, but will be compatible with our cars. *xs also offers cells that rest at 2.85 with 3,150 farads instead of just 3000*

Easy way to think about it is to just divide the capacitance of a cell by the amount of cells in series. 3000 / 6 will net you 500 Farads. Now just add each bank of these 6 cells together till you achieve the desired capacitance. Connect them up with like polarities like the first diagram and you end up with a bank of 500, 1000, 1500 Farads, etc. that can be charged up to 16.2 volts but will gladly charge at anything below, even 1 volt! Our normal charge voltage of 14.8ish won't cause any harm to them. 

Where do balancing boards come into play?

23 hours ago, kalilac619 said:

I’ve  run only caps ( no batteries) for about 2 years now with out issue...14 banks of Maxwells(7000       farads 

spacer.png

You buy those in bulk for a discount or just over the years bought more and more banks to add on? Looks sick

Archived