Supercap balancing?

12 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

You buy those in bulk for a discount or just over the years bought more and more banks to add on? Looks sick

No, I’m not talking about bracing. I’m talking about balancing board circuits/modules. Look at the pic. 99B46EA5-A30F-4FF3-AE65-BAA69D6DA813.thumb.jpeg.7eaece3c6e7e18dccd803eee6429b956.jpeg

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

1 minute ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Where do balancing boards come into play?

Oh so those just help to keep the individual cells at the same voltage. Same thing in lithium banks like yinlongs. 

Really don't need them for our applications. Balancing boards just prevent damage to cells from over charging one past its max voltage. 

They come in passive and active varieties but will connect each battery up to a main balancing board like this:

In this video he is talking about LTO lithium cells but its the same thing if you were to use one for capacitors, but it isn't necessary. Some people don't run balance boards on their lithium either but break down their banks to let them passively balance in parallel for a day. 

2 hours ago, kalilac619 said:

Xs power doesn’t technically make capacitors... they’re rebadge ioxus capacitors 

I figured as much. Thanks for the manufacturers info though. They do look to have a slight advantage over the Maxwell's, good info. You didn't happen to look at those "AliExpress specials" I posted did you? I haven't been able to find anything on them, beyond the sale listing. They might be junk, might be decent or maybe even comparable... If I could just find some actual specs lol! 

3 hours ago, SGT_76 said:

Yep I have looked at their different Bcap lines also. They're also a known quality product for sure. Their prices have jumped a lot over the years also though, gotta love the effect of demand lol. Hopefully I can find some more info on the ones below. They don't actually list the esr value, only "low esr". That's too big of a deal to just gamble on given it's "AliExpress".  Granted XS doesn't have their esr listed either, but they are also a know trusted US supplier.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000295134883.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=1582410664&albag=59754279756&trgt=743612850714&crea=en4000295134883&netw=u&device=t&albpg=743612850714&albpd=en4000295134883&gclid=CjwKCAjwkPX0BRBKEiwA7THxiKQyY5l8DD07vTGgagIdOeZ_Eh2YBzXPkJHDrXn6mu21cyB0fMjbBBoCxO0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Weird thing is when I look up that model number it brought me to a different product. MH 46367

https://cantecsystems.com/products/ultracapacitors/ls-mtron-lsuc-oo2r8l-03s0f-ea-detail

21 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Oh so those just help to keep the individual cells at the same voltage. Same thing in lithium banks like yinlongs. 

Really don't need them for our applications. Balancing boards just prevent damage to cells from over charging one past its max voltage. 

They come in passive and active varieties but will connect each battery up to a main balancing board like this:

In this video he is talking about LTO lithium cells but its the same thing if you were to use one for capacitors, but it isn't necessary. Some people don't run balance boards on their lithium either but break down their banks to let them passively balance in parallel for a day. 

Thank you for the insight dude! Is it possible to harm a 14.8 peak volt alternator if your staying over 15 volts, like 15.5 volts for long periods of time? Because I have another idea for a battery build too and I’ve always wondered if it was possible to overload an alternator. 

35 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

Then why does XS put balancing boards in their superbanks (the ones that look like agm batteries) if they are unneeded? I’m a noob to caps because back in the day when the 1 farad and 5 farad caps were popular I heard they could mess something up and then I heard they were pointless, so I never studied nor used caps. Then I found out they are good as long as you have like 500 farads or more. That’s when I started to peak interest. That wasn’t long ago. Then I said fugh it and im just gonna stick with my agm’s instead of learning and now I want to learn after so many years lol!

30 minutes ago, SGT_76 said:

I figured as much. Thanks for the manufacturers info though. They do look to have a slight advantage over the Maxwell's, good info. You didn't happen to look at those "AliExpress specials" I posted did you? I haven't been able to find anything on them, beyond the sale listing. They might be junk, might be decent or maybe even comparable... If I could just find some actual specs lol! 

There both the same....the links I provided were for the 2.7 maxwells and the 2.85 volt ioxus/XS power 

link for the 2.85 maxwells 

https://www.maxwell.com/images/documents/K2_2_85V_DS_3000619EN_3_.pdf

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

52 minutes ago, Joshdashef said:

You buy those in bulk for a discount or just over the years bought more and more banks to add on? Looks sick

6 banks I bought in bulk for a discount and the others just accumulated over about a year 

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

45 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Then why does XS put balancing boards in their superbanks (the ones that look like agm batteries) if they are unneeded? I’m a noob to caps because back in the day when the 1 farad and 5 farad caps were popular I heard they could mess something up and then I heard they were pointless, so I never studied nor used caps. Then I found out they are good as long as you have like 500 farads or more. That’s when I started to peak interest. That wasn’t long ago. Then I said fugh it and im just gonna stick with my agm’s instead of learning and now I want to learn after so many years lol!

Not sure why they do that, but I know XS power is a well known company for safe products. I wouldn't doubt they went the extra step of adding one for being extra careful. But you can see with kalilac's build he isn't running one for quite some time with no trouble. 

50 minutes ago, 1.21gigawatts said:

Thank you for the insight dude! Is it possible to harm a 14.8 peak volt alternator if your staying over 15 volts, like 15.5 volts for long periods of time? Because I have another idea for a battery build too and I’ve always wondered if it was possible to overload an alternator. 

Since the alternator is the source or generator then I would assume it could output higher than stock but might have a mechanical limit before it overheats, so I would contact your alternators manufacturer. Sometimes you can change to an externally regulated alternator to alter the voltage it will charge at, some companies will even rebuild yours to accept one. However, be careful how far you extend it if it will be powering your stock electrical as well, car components were not designed for over 15 volts. Run two alts if you want to go for a 12v and a 16v side (only advantage is you get more out of your amp if it can accept 16v like a DC 5k I think). I've seen guys run mids and highs off 12v side and 16v side is nothing but monoblocks, pretty effective way to deal with inevitable voltage drop but expensive

Archived