Sundown Audio

Now WTF ? What's the real deal with these amps ?

Fish Chris

19 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

19 hours ago, mathewyocham said:

Thank you Mathew.... But I believe these ^ Taramps, are a completely different tech, that the High Voltage series. These probably could be compared to most of the commonly used amps today, Where the high voltage series are a whole different thing. 

17 hours ago, AaronT said:

Basically as best as I could understand it, is normal "half bridge" designs don't use the "rails" fill capacity or capability of voltage.

Where the full bridge "Brazil's amps use the rails fill capacity with voltage, making them a very high internal voltage.

They have class D power supplies, but that's where the similarities end.

This was the quick break down how it was explained to me.

I don't have an expert understanding of exactly how amps work, but I have a good enough understanding to understand what's said to me. If that makes sense. I dunno

But I do not like the feel of those full bridge amplifiers. They just feel shitty cheap to me when I hold them.

Don't judge a book by its cover I guess, and as much as I'd love to try when I just cannot get myself to spend the money on him I guess if somebody gave me one for free I would have to try it, and probably would be impressed. But that's what it woukd take for me to fold to trying them.

I mean , if something makes its power, how can you not like it? Well I guess I'm just caught up in the early rumors of them sounding terrible. But from my research, that's not the case anymore.

Well personally speaking, Id just have to hear / see a lot more about them. I mean, I wouldn't have to own one, but Id have to learn a lot more about them first. Oh, like I say, I've heard some negative things about their smaller 1 to 8Kwt amps too.... but then those are regular old school tech, I believe, NOT these crazy voltage things ? So maybe those Taramps wouldn't be a fair comparison to these Taramps either?

14 hours ago, max13b2 said:

This amp is part of their HV (High Voltage) line. It requires 300v DC to operate, that's why it requires multiple 12v batteries. You must run them in series to get to that voltage. Also requires a special charger, as no alternator will put out 300VDC, but it sips amperage as a result, of course.

Yours is probably the best answer.....

SO, does this make this a fantastic amp ? A special charger doesn't sound like too big of a deal, but 24 or 30 Lead acid or AGM's sound retarded. Surely their must be a "lighter" way to store power.... but before you say it, can you imagine the cost of 24 Lithium batteries ?!?!

14 hours ago, Kain91 said:

I would suggest looking at the sound digital micro line. Some serious wattage for the size

Okay, those are cool (actually, I hear those things are sizzling hot :) lol) ....but again, apples to oranges compared to these 60Kwt, to 160 Kwt amps I'm talking about hear. You would need 30 to 50 of those little amps your talking about to make this kind of wattage.

10 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Nah, but on a serious note. You see that amp is less that $800? That’s cheap magic, for real LOL! I don’t think that amp puts out no where near rated. But Idk. I know them hv amps can run at 250+ volts. 

But how are we going to know, until Steve or Big D actually test one ? I get that its going to take a whole different testing setup, and that's probably why it has not been done yet.... That i'm aware of anyway. I guess they've tested them at the Taramps factory ? I mean, you'd have to be able to test the damn thing if you are building them, right ??? If Taramps wants me to believe it, they need to show me a test video ! Granted, Id rather see a test by a third party... like SMD, of Big D....

5 hours ago, Gunnem said:

that big D wiz vid is good too but this guy repairing a first generation HD10,000 taught me and got me onboard with taramps

its my understanding the caps are way oversized in the amp and thats how these brazils get the magic

the high voltage amps are the ones that caught fire in their demo semi in south america

i think sencheezy has a high voltage taramps in his ride.  hes a member here.

Hmmmm.... watched both of these vids, and wow, I honestly just don't know... That first amp was an ef'ing mess ! But if needed brain surgery, I'd be looking that guy up ! Freaking electronic genius ! Still, based on that video, I wouldn't think these High Voltage amps were there yet.

But then I watched the other video with Sencheezy (and btw, I have zero problem with weed, but somebody should have given him a 20 minute heads up, that he would be asked some questions, so he could get ready for it :) lol) Seriously though, he seemed pretty happy with his Taramp HV series... So, when they say you need a special charging system, this means, you charge the batts at home... then can play the system for many hours "all on stored power" ??? That's kind of crazy. Save on alternators I guess. Hmmmm. 

I think I'm just going to have to see these used more, and see how those are working out. Also, being more of an SQL kind of guy, Id need to know more about the SQ side of these amps. 

Oh, as a side note, I've seen like hundreds of vids, of car stereos hitting 160 db's or more, and they almost never use headphones. In this setup, he used headphones for 155 ? I hope this is not because those 155 db's are hard to listen to, as opposed to some systems that are hitting 160+ and guys are able to get demos without headphones. I know that depends on the person of course too. I don't think I could take 160 in any setup, without headphones... or without tapping out.

Archived