Questions about using welding wire

1 hour ago, blammo585 said:

Look here, https://www.wireandsupply.com/category_s/60.htm.

Sizing gets confusing. If something says it takes 2/0, does that mean 2/0 AWG or does it mean oversized 2/0 car audio wire? I would go by the AWG standard. I don't know how many people actually need 4/0.

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That wielding cable isn’t oxygen free. Most all wielding cable and possible all wielding cable isn’t oxygen free. I thought they made ofc wielding cable but from what I’m seeing as I research is the complete opposite and it’s just standard made copper. And I figured out that’s why it’s cheaper because the copper is cheaper to make/process if it isn’t oxygen free. Easier too. Also, Wielding cable is smaller than car audio cable and stiffer.

I'll tell you what.... getting it done right the first time is number 1, the best price to get it done right the first time is a close second. Putting the fewest amount of holes in my truck is a distant third lol

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

2 hours ago, AaronT said:

I don't think the cci royal excelene is cca.

Cci is just some acronym for something else

I'm not super good at searching things on the internet, but I looked to try and find out what exactly that meant and couldn't find anything. CCI apparently is an acronym that is used by a lot of different entities lol. I'll keep looking, but if using this welding cable might cause a problem down the road, or might cause me to not get the power I need, or cause be l me to have to do a considerable amount more work to get it to work properly, it's not worth the money savings. I'm still doing the research on it

I use 1/0 welding cable pure copper not advertised as ofc and it works fine.

specs for 1/0 battery cable with lower strand count says up to 19ft and 300amps.

Welding cable in compliance with  Art. 630 epdm strand count 1026 can provide 500 amps up to 25ft.

CCA is clad meaning copper plated aluminium

CCI is a cable manufacturer

1 hour ago, 12V71 said:

I use 1/0 welding cable pure copper not advertised as ofc and it works fine.

specs for 1/0 battery cable with lower strand count says up to 19ft and 300amps.

Welding cable in compliance with  Art. 630 epdm strand count 1026 can provide 500 amps up to 25ft.

CCA is clad meaning copper plated aluminium

CCI is a cable manufacturer

Right on man! Thank you very much for chiming in! Though this does raise a couple more questions for you if you don't mind. How can you know if it's pure copper? Nothing really jumped out at me in the description of the royal excelene that led me to believe it was pure copper. Though nothing led me to believe it wasn't either. If it's pure  copper vs ofc car  audio cable with the same diameter, same thread count, would the ofc be more conductive just because it was oxygen free? I guess they would have information like that on a royal Excelene website? If they have one. 

2 minutes ago, Dafaseles said:

Right on man! Thank you very much for chiming in! Though this does raise a couple more questions for you if you don't mind. How can you know if it's pure copper? Nothing really jumped out at me in the description of the royal excelene that led me to believe it was pure copper. Though nothing led me to believe it wasn't either. If it's pure  copper vs ofc car  audio cable with the same diameter, same thread count, would the ofc be more conductive just because it was oxygen free? I guess they would have information like that on a royal Excelene website? If they have one. 

Yes oxygen free copper is more conductive. But if you run big enough wielding cable then it evens out and doesn’t matter.

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

16 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That particular welding cable isn’t oxygen free (ofc) so it’s not as conductive. It is copper but not as pure nor as conductive because it wasn’t made in an oxygen free environment.

That copper wielding cable is about 98%-99% (maybe a little less...maybe) copper and 1%-2% (or a little more) oxygen and car audio ofc cable is 99.9%-99.99% copper and 0.0005%-0.001% oxygen. It will equal a minimum 101% conductivity rate. That’s copper 101. :drink40:

1 hour ago, Dafaseles said:

Basically what I didn't do a good job of saying is most people just worry about copper vs copper clad aluminum. The welding cable is copper. I don't know that anyone would use copper clad aluminum wire for welding but I'm no expert there.

I don't think the welding wire has the strand count as the finer strand car audio wire. It's not quite as flexible but as someone described it, it's flexible enough.

That site I linked to has free shipping. You can order 1 foot just to see it. I ordered a foot of several different sizes just so I could see it. I can tell you the 2/0 wire measures approximately 11.29mm in diameter. To give you a comparison, the 4 gauge welding wire measures about 5.9mm (although looking at the pic I may have been squeezing the wire a bit too much), and the Knukonceptz 4 gauge measured 7.56mm. On Knukonceptz's website they describe their 4 gauge as 3 AWG (so, slightly bigger than standard 4 gauge and that checks out).

1 hour ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

That copper wielding cable is about 98%-99% (maybe a little less...maybe) copper and 1%-2% (or a little more) oxygen and car audio ofc cable is 99.9%-99.99% copper and 0.0005%-0.001% oxygen. It will equal a minimum 101% conductivity rate. That’s copper 101. :drink40:

I'm learning a lot! This is fun! 

Archived