Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So i have a Taramps HD 3k and purchased a 150 amp fuse for it because tramps recommended it. BUT, im currently running a 80 amp fuse on it and haven't blown it yet or melted it. (80x14v = around 1100) The amp does 3k watts but since i havent blown the fuse does that mean im getting 1k watts out of it ? I assume if the fuse would of popped it would mean its putting out more power than 1k rms. I have a 150 amp fuse, but havent installed it cause havent popped it yet. Got the gains about halfway on the amp. Got it hooked to a DDX10 1krms 1500 peak. It can feel slight heat from the cone when I up the volume on the head unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuses can handle a lot more amps than they're rated for for short periods of time. If you're listening to music, the draw might exceed 80 amps, but not constantly, so the fuse is able to handle it. Or it's a bad fuse and won't pop before frying the wire.... but I'd put my money on the first reason

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Dafaseles said:

Fuses can handle a lot more amps than they're rated for for short periods of time. If you're listening to music, the draw might exceed 80 amps, but not constantly, so the fuse is able to handle it. Or it's a bad fuse and won't pop before frying the wire.... but I'd put my money on the first reason

Okay so lets say im hitting around 80 amps, can the 80 amp fuse clip the amp ?? Cause my 1k rms subwoofer gets slightly warm dust cap, and im pretty sure im only getting around 1k from the amp. So could my amp be clipping because of the fuse making the sub heat up when i turn up the volume ?

Edited by Angel Galvan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’re clipping. That’s why the subwoofer is getting hot. Dirty signal. Not enough current. Clean it up. It’s already too much amp for that subwoofer, you mine as well clean it up or kiss that subwoofer good bye. The volume level you turn it up to and it gets hot is the clipping point. Let me help you set the gain correctly too. What kind of head unit do you have? So I know if it can be turned up all the way on flat and not distort. 

  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:+1:
 
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

You’re clipping. That’s why the subwoofer is getting hot. Dirty signal. Not enough current. Clean it up. It’s already too much amp for that subwoofer, you mine as well clean it up or kiss that subwoofer good bye. The volume level you turn it up to and it gets hot is the clipping point. Let me help you set the gain correctly too. What kind of head unit do you have? So I know if it can be turned up all the way on flat and not distort. 

AH okay, cause i did some simple calculation 80 amp fuse x Lets say 13.4 volts theoretically i should be getting below 1.1k watts. And theres no way this sub heats up at 1.1k watts. I've heard other people with the same sub put down 1500 watts rms on it (skar ddx 10 inch wired to 1 OHM). My amp is a Taramps HD3k 1 ohm Version.          ( abit more than halfway) 

 

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-4100NEX, I can get to 25 volume and it will play good, once i get to like 30 35 volume ( i play decaf songs) the sub starts to work hard major flex. I had the gain on the amp turned down so i could actually get to 30 35 volume easy and stay there but door speakers at that volume are too loud for me  😂.

Stock electricals, and im prob gonna get screamed at, im running a 4 gauge on the amp. Tommorow im installing a 150amp fuse. I dont think its a good idea too much amperage for the cable but please let me know. I dont want to put down all 3k watts on the sub just want to get like 2k tops for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn the amp gain all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way up. Play a sonic electronics 40 hz test tone off YouTube and then turn the gain up until you see the indicator do off and once you see that, back off until it goes off, no clipping now, and then go back a little more so the signal weakens, thus less rms. Done and done. Watch this video and see if you can understand it. If not, just go back on the gain a little extra once you find the no clipping spot so less clean rms is going to the subwoofer. 

 

Edited by 1point21gigawatts
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:+1:
 
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Turn the amp gain all the way down. Turn the volume on the head unit all the way up. Play a sonic electronics 40 hz test tone off YouTube and then turn the gain up until you see the indicator do off and once you see that, back off until it goes off, no clipping now, and then go back a little more so the signal weakens, thus less rms. Done and done. Watch this video and see if you can understand it. If not, just go back on the gain a little extra once you find the no clipping spot so less clean rms is going to the subwoofer. 

 

Why not 35hz ? Does it have to be at 40hz ? Since I mostly play low hz songs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried doing what the guy in the video did and cant get my multi meter to read anything. I was using the same multi meter as in the video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Angel Galvan said:

Why not 35hz ? Does it have to be at 40hz ? Since I mostly play low hz songs 

Has to be 40hz


:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:+1:
 
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...