Second Skin Audio

4th order or 6th order

6th order or 4th order  

1. 1. It's a 2011 Silverado I'm doing a blow through on. I'm going to pay for a design, most likely from down 4 sound unless you guys know of a better place to get plans. I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for spl, and I'm willing to sacrifice some spl for sound quality. Place your vote and comment what you would tune the port/ ports at

• 4th order
    • 6th order

It's a 2011 Silverado I'm doing a blow through on. I'm going to pay for a design, most likely from down 4 sound unless you guys know of a better place to get plans. The subs are FI Audio  Q series 12" neo subs. I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for spl, and I'm willing to sacrifice some spl for sound quality. Place your vote and comment what you would tune the port/ ports at

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

On 7/4/2020 at 9:33 PM, Dafaseles said:

It's a 2011 Silverado I'm doing a blow through on. I'm going to pay for a design, most likely from down 4 sound unless you guys know of a better place to get plans. The subs are FI Audio  Q series 12" neo subs. I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality for spl, and I'm willing to sacrifice some spl for sound quality. Place your vote and comment what you would tune the port/ ports at

I say 6th. Down4sound will probably give you a good design. But I'd go with the local (for me) guru, Bobby Gately. 1) He's a proven box building genius, and 2) he's a super cool guy.

BTW question, if it's going to be a blow through anyway, why only 12"s ? I mean, I know 12"s can get super loud, but generally speaking, guys use small subs when they don't have much space.... Or they use 8 or 10 of them.

39 minutes ago, fishchris1 said:

I say 6th. Down4sound will probably give you a good design. But I'd go with the local (for me) guru, Bobby Gately. 1) He's a proven box building genius, and 2) he's a super cool guy.

BTW question, if it's going to be a blow through anyway, why only 12"s ? I mean, I know 12"s can get super loud, but generally speaking, guys use small subs when they don't have much space.... Or they use 8 or 10 of them.

I'll admit, I should have went 15's. They where all on sale. I've always owned 12's and I just didn't even look at the 15's. I was too damn excited my wife told me i could buy them lol. If I could have a redo, I would have gotten 15's

I looked at the Gately website. I didn't see a "let me design your box" option on there. I'll have to look again. I'd rather go with him, i agree. 

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

Qts is too low to put in a 4th order enclosure. A series tuned 6th order would do the trick. Plus, don’t regret not getting 15s. 12s hurt more lol! 

I saw that, but I figured speakers are going to do whatever you tell it to. Honestly, I've had 6th order in my head the whole time. There's just been a lot of stories I've read about people having to rebuild series 6th orders because it's hard to tune series ports... but they probably did because they had the time and they could keep trying until they got it perfect. It probably didn't sound like total crap. And I'm not looking for absolute perfection. 

Any input on tuning? I was thinking maybe 28 Hertz and 56 Hertz? This is where I'm completely puzzled 

The tuning is based on the qts and fs and the sizing is based on the vas. Do you have a laptop or desktop to download WinISD and/or HornResp? Once you start crunching numbers, you might be able to do it yourself and not need to pay anybody. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

3 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

The tuning is based on the qts and fs and the sizing is based on the vas. Do you have a laptop or desktop to download WinISD and/or HornResp? Once you start crunching numbers, you might be able to do it yourself and not need to pay anybody. 

I do.... I've actually read, specifically Winlsd cannot properly calculate series 6th orders. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. It could have just been someone's opinion. I was poking around the internet looking for any info I could find on the pros and cons of 4th orders and 6th orders and I came across that. Like I said though....I have no clue if that's true or not. I think I'd just pay the money and have a reputable, I've done this crap before many times, person just design me a box with a cut sheet. That way I know it'll be done at least pretty damn close to right. The reason I ask about port tuning is the 2 websites I've looked at that will design a box for you and give you a cut sheet, both ask for the desired port tuning. If it has to do with t/s parameters, I'll have to do some more studying

6 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

I'm pretty computer illiterate. How do you download WinlSD and HornResp?

HornResp is suppose to be better than WinISD when it comes to band pass enclosures. Just google “HornResp” from a computer and click on the first link and then it will direct you to a page where it says click to download and just click that. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

12 hours ago, 1point21gigawatts said:

HornResp is suppose to be better than WinISD when it comes to band pass enclosures. Just google “HornResp” from a computer and click on the first link and then it will direct you to a page where it says click to download and just click that. 

Those programs are fun to play with... and can probably do a great job for a particular sub woofer(s) ....but the biggest problem is, they do not take into account, the cabin of your vehicle :( My current enclosure modeled flat like a freaking shelf, to 30 hz, then dropped off quickly. And Im confident my build was extremely close to what was called for. But once I put it in the truck, it got the huge peak from cabin gain. Granted, I was able to knock that down with my Digital Sound Processor.... But the point is, no matter how it models in an enclosure design program, its going to act different in your vehicle. Usually correctable, if a person cares enough to do so.

Archived