Second Skin Audio

3 12" skar evl or 2 15" skar vxf

Flip792

Hi, I'm trying to decide what to buy. This will be going in my daily driver. A Ford crown vic. I listen to all kinds of music (rap, hip hop, classic rock, metal, rock, etc...) Either way I'm using a Skar RP 4500.1 amp. It's between 3 dual 2 ohm Skar 12" EVL or 2 dual 4 ohm Skar 15" VXF. I'm going to be using the recommended ported box specs Skar gives. For the 12s it's 2 ft³ at 32hz. For the 15s it's 3.25 ft³ at 32 hz. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

If someone can correct me of in wrong, but doesn't 2 15's have more cone area than 3 12's?

For getting loud, as long as you have the adequate space needed for the enclosure, and your electrical upgrades can handle the power, cone area is king. So as long as you have plenty of space, I would go 2 15's. 

Not only that, but I've seen people who have gone from 2 subs to 3 and actually be not gain any type of output because of how they have to wire it. Just the change from 1 ohm to 1.3 was enough to kill any gains they would have gotten. Assuming your electrical can easily push more than 4500 watts, if I where to go 3 subs, I would get dual 4's and wire down to .6 ohm. But that's just me, knowing that I've voided the warrantee on the amplifier lol. 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

I'm currently helping a friend do a build do a build for a crown vic. You're going to be hard pressed to get either into that wheel well / trunk without having the box not be square. You'll need about 9-9.5 cubic ft gross to get to your net of 6.5 cubes per sub and have a decent port area and tuning. I've seen 2 15" builds and their boxes are smaller than what you're doing and most likely not as efficient as they could be. 

(We are going to do a backseat wall for 2 15's because it was the better option)

My 2 cents.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:13 AM, Flip792 said:

Hi, I'm trying to decide what to buy. This will be going in my daily driver. A Ford crown vic. I listen to all kinds of music (rap, hip hop, classic rock, metal, rock, etc...) Either way I'm using a Skar RP 4500.1 amp. It's between 3 dual 2 ohm Skar 12" EVL or 2 dual 4 ohm Skar 15" VXF. I'm going to be using the recommended ported box specs Skar gives. For the 12s it's 2 ft³ at 32hz. For the 15s it's 3.25 ft³ at 32 hz. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

To your question, just comparing drivers specs you can reach some conclusions:

EVL-12 specs:
Sd: 471.4 cm²
Xmax: 23.5 mm
Net volume = 2.00 ft³
port area = 24.0 in²

Box:
Net volume = 6 cu ft
port area = 72 in²
Total Vd = 3249.9 cm3

VXF-15 specs:
Sd: 779.3 cm²
Xmax: 30 mm
Net volume = 3.25 ft³
port area = 47.25 in²

Box:
Net volume = 6.5 cu ft
port area = 94.5 in²
Total Vd  =  4675.8 cm3

So, in this case the two 15s far exceed the 3 12s in total diaphragm displacement and being an even number of drivers better match impedance of the amp.

The 3 12s can work in a moderately smaller enclosure but can't match the output of the two VXF 15s.

So you may think that the obvious choice is the two 15s at this point but probably not, the better option by far will be the enclosure that will more efficiently deliver SPL to the cabin, to start you will need to open up your rear deck.

The 15s also have quite a bit more motor force and all else equal, that would be what I'm after. Though they mixed up the 2Ω and 4Ω specs 🙃

Archived