Sundown Audio

Voltage at Amp Reading ~2-3V

BassHead1990

Has anyone came across this issue before? Amp will randomly shut off while driving and I'll pull over and check across the terminals and it reads ~2-3V; then it'll randomly come back on and reads 14.8V. Ground seems good, getting 14.8V across remote and ground. Nothing is loose under the hood ( only 0.2V drop from front to back).  I got a couple more tests I'll run but just seeing if anyone has experience this before. Would Clipping perhaps be a cause?

(2007 Chevy Tahoe LT)

Mechman 320A

OEM AGM 

D'Amore Engineering HLC-2 Sig Converter

D'Amore Engineering E1500.1

Fi Audio Neo 3.5 12"

Yes, the positive and negative inputs on the amplifier. I haven't yet been able to set a proper gain on the HLC-2, I'm wondering if a clipped signal is a factor.

Next time it happens I want to remove the power wire and check power to ground to see if it's a "high Resistance" to drop it down that far.

(2007 Chevy Tahoe LT)

Mechman 320A

OEM AGM 

Fi Audio Neo 3.5 12"

• BassHead1990 changed the title to Voltage at Amp Reading ~2-3V

It could be a bad ground or grounding location. But, I know you said you checked everything, but to me it sounds like something is loose. On the battery terminal, or a fuse, or any place they'd a connection. I'm not saying 100% it's that, that's just what it sounds like. 

What amplifier is it? 

2011 Chevy Silverado under construction

My build log here. Check it out! 

Yeah this reeks of a funny connection somewhere

Go through everything. Disassemble, inspect, test, clean, reassemble. Alternator stud, ring terminal, battery clamp, battery terminal, wire into fuse block, fuse, wire out of fuse block, amp terminals, ground terminal, ground location, etc etc etc.

Give every crimp / solder, termination a HARD pull too. If you're worried about it coming loose, re-do it. If it comes loose, re-do it.

Skip nothing, assume nothing is good. Actually go out and do it. If it were all good, this wouldn't be presenting as an issue. Gotta find it.

Also check your fuse. Half blown fuses do funny things. Easy check here is a DMM across the fuse while the issue occurs.

Okay, I'll do a breakdown this weekend of EVERYTHING. I keep hinting at the ground too but it's like it it'll be playing @ 15 volts no problem then on a certain songs the voltage will just drop to 3 volts and shut down (no protect mode) then after a while boom it's back and playing 15 volts again, amps not even warm.

I agree, there's something that's off or I wouldn't be dealing with this. I'll keep you guys posted!

(2007 Chevy Tahoe LT)

Mechman 320A

OEM AGM 

Fi Audio Neo 3.5 12"

18 minutes ago, BassHead1990 said:

Okay, I'll do a breakdown this weekend of EVERYTHING. I keep hinting at the ground too but it's like it it'll be playing @ 15 volts no problem then on a certain songs the voltage will just drop to 3 volts (no protect mode) then after a while boom it's back and playing 15 volts again, amps not even warm.

I agree, there's something that's off or I wouldn't be dealing with this. I'll keep you guys posted!

Time out, you see under 9, and your amp does not shut down?

I wish, no the amp shuts off usually at high volume, If I'm playing at a normal volume, everything is good. 

(2007 Chevy Tahoe LT)

Mechman 320A

OEM AGM 

Fi Audio Neo 3.5 12"

23 hours ago, BassHead1990 said:

I wish, no the amp shuts off usually at high volume, If I'm playing at a normal volume, everything is good. 

Oh, i miss understood. Its good its shutting down. Every time ive seen voltage drop to insane amounts, it was always a ground issue. Comes and goes type of shit, always a ground. Id give that a real real REAL good look over. Good luck. 

Archived