Sonic Electronix

Spl guys.......is there such a thing as too much port area

Yes , sub will unload and almost no sound will come out like running free air. Should hear mechanical noise from sub bottoming out . Subs are designed for specific amounts of pressure to reach there peaks and when to much pressure like a small box or not enough pressure oversized box (to much port) sub will unload. That’s why each sub has specs , but when running SPL got to try every square inch of port to gain numbers it’s a battle . There’s a fine line between box , power and space to get your goal, every car is different. Most SPL guys have changeable ports .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

How much port area are you considering? If I remember correctly from some posts that I can't seem to find any more, it's pretty tough to get too much port area. I'm pretty sure you should be more worried about not enough than too much. 

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

On 7/8/2022 at 11:48 PM, MrSkippyJ said:

How much port area are you considering? If I remember correctly from some posts that I can't seem to find any more, it's pretty tough to get too much port area. I'm pretty sure you should be more worried about not enough than too much. 

Im going with a 10 inch octoport so like 81 square inches of port.

I changed my mind on the subs im going to use I want to show you can have sq and spl at the same time.  I am going to have a box with 5.77 cf net tuned to 35 hz with the 10 inch octoport.  The subs are going to be stereo integrity sql 12's dual 2 ohms so .50 ohms on the taramps 3k the one that is stable to that ohm load.  So the too much port question wont apply with 3k burps.  If anything i probably should have more port.  But i have some american bass dx 12 the second series and i know they would bang in the box im getting built and they handle 300 rms per sub but id burp them with 1000 watts clamped if db drag comes near me show wise.

Archived