Why Your Local Autoparts Store Cant Test Your Alt Properly

Ok so tried this and suprisingly my volts stayed at 14V with everything on(ive upgrade the big3 and im running a kinetik under the hood FYI). Then i turned the volume all the way up and the volts only dropped to 13.3v. So what does all this mean for me?

Your alt is perfectly fine for your system.

Mine stays about 13.2-13.5 dependent upon song.

• 2 weeks later...

Ford F250s had a dual alternator option. Since they use the same engine as the Excursion my bro bought the factory dual alt bracket from the Ford dealership and added a second alt to his truck. One alt is on the top driver's side and the other goes on the bottom passenger's side. It was all a direct bolt on.

When I test my alts I connect a dmm & clamp to the alternator then slowly roll into the volume while playing a test tone and watch the readings. When the readings on the clamp stop rising and the volts on the dmm start dropping your alt has reached its limit. Then you know the max current output your alt is capable of.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just reading through this post for the first time. So I finally got my new setup up and running for the first time this week, and have a few thoughts, and questions.

My previous system was only a 400w mono Hifonics Zeus amp running a 15" sub then 4 12"s and no electrical mods at all to my PT with a Duralast battery and factory 120 amp alternator. It could drop the voltage at idle from 13.5 to 12.0 and dimmed the lights, too. PT Cruisers are regulated by the PCM to 13.5 volts regardless of RPMs.

So now I have a Kinetik HC1400 underhood and a HC600 in the back, ~1500 watts rms, and still the factory alternator. I have not completed the Big 3 yet. Voltage is 13.4 constant and does not drop at all no matter what the volume of the stereo is at, no dimming or anything. Voltage at the rear battery seems to be a little higher at 13.8, unless my Stinger display needs calibrating again.

From reading Dom's responses, Can I assume that I am ok in that I don't have voltage drop? You guys continuously advised me to overbuild my electrical for only 1500 watts total system rms power, so I feel pretty safe.

Is there anyway I could actually get my alternator tested to see what it is really doing? And should I be looking into a higher amp alt in the future, and a MLA module, if I have no voltage drop at all?

Thanks guys.

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

• 5 months later...

Sup guys, My name is Jan and i'm from West Seneca, New York. I work at Advance Auto Parts and i am the resident bass nut. Not tootin my own horn cause i know there are other people who know a helluvalot more than I do, but i get a fair amount of people coming in asking me about how to wire this or what battery to use and what not. If anyone is in the Western New York area, stop by and look me up, always lookin for someone to talk this kinda stuff with, since most of the guys at my store don't know that much. they usually refer their customer to me if it's an audio question since i pretty much breath this stuff even when i'm at work haha. Anyways, thanks Steve and Dom, now i know how to truly test someone's alternator the correct way, who knew they were teaching me wrongly, i know better now, THANKS SMD!!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

very informative very good info refresher for the pros and good info for those who are new to the game bunch of rookies at those places anyway i love the vid of steve messing with the autozone kid classic any way awesome post

Car is 2010 Scion Tc

Currently in car

Deck- Sony XAV-60 in-dash mobile video system

Speakers- Rockford Punch 6.5in comps in the front and coax in the rear

Subs- 2 Gen 3 Rockford P3 12's dual 4 ohm

Amps- Rockford P1000-1bd and P400-4 Alpine Mrp-f300 is in for P400-4 which is out to service

Wiring- all rockford nuff said

Enclosure- Dual 12in custom box by SRQ

Battery- Optima Yellow top with big 3 done

Sound Damping- All Dynamat products 1-2 layers throughout with liner on top

rockford-fosgate-logo.gif

Link to my build log- http://down4sound.co...=newpost&t=5275

Link to my youtube- http://www.youtube.c...ser/Jville140db

MECP Advanced CEA # 110531

BassBox 6 Pro for Box Building/Re audio box calculator

If you can hear the passenger it aint loud enough!!!!!!!

QUOTE (MickyMcD @ Sep 25 2009, 07:25 PM) "My system has 30 speaker terminals, that means shits wanging doggggg....."<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

• 4 weeks later...