Good Motor Swap For A 89 4door Chevy Dually Toe Pig

I have a opportunity to get a 4 door dually. Im thinking it over. Gas prices are really making me think. I think I would do it if theres a good motor swap I can do to make it get resonble millage and be able to tow. Its gonna have to tow 3 mini trucks from cali to Oklahoma and back as well as drive all over Cali Az. Or. and Wa. So whats out there for this thing. I already had a tow pig with nice 454 im not doing that again with these gas prices. So what kind of motor swaps are out there? What kind of mileage and towabilty would the truck get?

• 2 weeks later...
I have a opportunity to get a 4 door dually. Im thinking it over. Gas prices are really making me think. I think I would do it if theres a good motor swap I can do to make it get resonble millage and be able to tow. Its gonna have to tow 3 mini trucks from cali to Oklahoma and back as well as drive all over Cali Az. Or. and Wa. So whats out there for this thing. I already had a tow pig with nice 454 im not doing that again with these gas prices. So what kind of motor swaps are out there? What kind of mileage and towabilty would the truck get?

put a chevy 305 in it with a gear change.. you cant really go smaller than that, you will definetley get better gas mileage than a 454, that's for sure... and get a good transmission cooler on it if your gonna use it just for towing...where do you live ???

Edited by toyonbags

Save up a bunch of money get a duramax swap, and convert it to one of the grease burners, i mean its an idea for gas prices/towability

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif

I'm gonna say go with a 350, i assume it already has the 700r4 tranny in it, but do you know what gears are in it? But on the motor, just make it breath better, intake manifold can help, long tube headers and full exhaust, as long as you keep you foot off the go pedal, those can help more than you might think, and a tranny cooler to help keep it cool, and a shift kit, so it will shift firmer

1997 S10 EC

Whats in it

106.9 Sq.ft. Hushmat

DB Elec. 250 amp alt.

HC800&HC1400

MLA Module

Alpine 9886

Knukonceptz wires

Clarion EQS746

poopy Alpine door co-ax's

Change IS Coming

1989 + towing 3 trucks = bad gas mileage I don't think there really is a way around it lol

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

x2 on doing the duramax swap and running on grease.

Need any thing chromed? Hit me up!!!

gamer tag: (360)

mEmEnToMoRi64

My Myspace

refs:

from here: RollinSoLow, Derrick824, Ray

from c.a.c.o. : teamsubgopoof, splvictim20, SundownAudioNY

from C.A.J. : Donpisto, spladdict19, CAJunkyard, JBLCAMRY, DasBot (robot underground)

from ca.com: alxmlr789,photocrazy8

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

2c27c692.jpg

If you are wanting to tow that much weight and still get decent mileage then you have to go with diesel. It wont be great gas mileage, and still way better than a little 350 trying to drive a heavy ass truck carrying 3 more trucks and a heavy ass trailer.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

putting a smaller displacement engine in a big truck hinders more than it helps. less tourque at the lower rpms that you willl be running at. put in the coalburner. but compare costs of the conversion verses buying one used. with the rise of deisel costs ive see a decline in the resale value of the used big trucks for example 2004-2006 ram 3500 for les than 20K. that is only what i have looked at. unless you have an awesome connect on the conversion it could cost about 7k once your done(for the deisel)

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=29213 "sleeper build"

(1) DC AUDIO Level4XL 10

(2) PowermasterD2700 batteries

ALL FOR SALE

TEAM DC AUDIO

TEAM DIRTFLOORPOOR