How much does power compare with cone area. Say if i had a BL 18 on 1000wRMS compared to 4 BL10's on 4000wRMS....

australia03junehl4.gif

Previous: 1988 Nissan Patrol

Rockford T800.4

Rockford T1 15 (sealed)

Rockford 6.5 Components

Current: 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Build goals...

1x RF P300.2

4x Hertz HCX165's

Built Completes :)

Alpine 9886 Headunit

RF P300.2

RF P500-1bd

2x RF P2-D2 8" Subs, 1.3 cubes @39.5Hz

4x Hertz HCX130's

Current comment...

Satisfied for the moment, focusing on performance upgrades

that again is a hard question to answer because you are adding another variable. but if it was a bl 18 vs 4 bl 10s on the same amount of power the 4 10s should be louder because of cone area.

2 18'' fi btls fully loaded

2 sundown saz 3000d

1 iraggi 200 amp alt

3 powermaster 3100d series batts

11.75 cuft wall after displacement tuned to 31.08 hz

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

where are you coming up with your cone area?

6 8"s = 301 sq. inches of cone area

2 12"s = 226 sq. inches of cone area

neither will be a groundpounder though, unless they were DD 1508's on 5kw IMO.

mybanner49273dc203897nv4.jpg

2001 Chevy S10 ex. cab

-Pioneer Premier 490ib

-Sundown Audio SAX-100.4 / Autotek MM4000.1

-Dayton PA165's (x4) / Power Acoustik NX-5 bullet tweets

-2 15" Audioque HD3's walled(9 cubes net @ 38hz, 160 sq. in. port)

-Big 3, Optima Red Top, Batcap 2000's (x2), All 2/0 welding cable

• 2 months later...

I have seen a lot of people talk about cone area of woofers and make massive mistakes.

You average 12 inch woofer has not only its radaiting area (Sd) from its cone but part (usually 1/4 - 1/2) its surround as well.

It is best to check with the manufactuer as they will give you a more accurate figure.

Most 12's have between 480 cm2 and 530 cm2 of (Sd) cone area that is:

480/2.5 =192 sq ins

or

530/2.5 or 212 sq ins.

Then (Sd) cone area x excursion reached (peak) will give you Vd which is total driver displacement (i.e. air compressed).

It is not just cone area that makes output, the size and type of box will adjust the efficency bandwidth (i.e. where in the frequency range it is efficent) of the design.

Larger boxes favour the bottom end where as smaller boxes favour the upper end. With a ported enclosure you are also getting output around the tuning frequnecy of the vent this acts like extra displacement (i.e. like more cone area).

Of course the driver will be designed with a bandwidth in mind as well some tend to favor low tuning where as other tend to favour higher tunings it is all down to the design of the woofer.

Adding extra power is good up to a point as eventally the driver is saturated with heat and gets hot, the coil(s) impedence rises and thus your amps produce less power (less load) and output does not increase, this is driver themal compression.

Then there are cabin losses/gains to be considerd, higher up in the bass range cabin resonation aids output (often 45hz plus) DBDrag users use this to assist there score. Low bass (45hz and under) flexes the cabin and you loose output, a strong cabin will not flex and allow maximim low bass to be produced.

So lots of cone is good as long as other factors: enclosure size/strength, power supply and cabin is correct also.

My saying: "A boom a day keeps the hearing away."

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a lot of people talk about cone area of woofers and make massive mistakes.

You average 12 inch woofer has not only its radaiting area (Sd) from its cone but part (usually 1/4 - 1/2) its surround as well.

It is best to check with the manufactuer as they will give you a more accurate figure.

480/2.5 =192 sq ins

or

530/2.5 or 212 sq ins.

Then (Sd) cone area x excursion reached (peak) will give you Vd which is total driver displacement (i.e. air compressed).

It is not just cone area that makes output, the size and type of box will adjust the efficency bandwidth (i.e. where in the frequency range it is efficent) of the design.

Larger boxes favour the bottom end where as smaller boxes favour the upper end. With a ported enclosure you are also getting output around the tuning frequnecy of the vent this acts like extra displacement (i.e. like more cone area).

Of course the driver will be designed with a bandwidth in mind as well some tend to favor low tuning where as other tend to favour higher tunings it is all down to the design of the woofer.

Adding extra power is good up to a point as eventally the driver is saturated with heat and gets hot, the coil(s) impedence rises and thus your amps produce less power (less load) and output does not increase, this is driver themal compression.

Then there are cabin losses/gains to be considerd, higher up in the bass range cabin resonation aids output (often 45hz plus) DBDrag users use this to assist there score. Low bass (45hz and under) flexes the cabin and you loose output, a strong cabin will not flex and allow maximim low bass to be produced.

So lots of cone is good as long as other factors: enclosure size/strength, power supply and cabin is correct also.

damn, that was a serious run down :blink:

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

damn, that was a serious run down :blink:

Thanks!

The key element is understanding that no one part is the most important on its own, all the factors come into play.

My saying: "A boom a day keeps the hearing away."

Damn

Well said man.

Team Deadly Hertz

1997 GMC 1500

Update....

System is gone

Motor is fucked

Truck is down and out for a while

Myspace

YOUTUBE

My Build

480/2.5 =192 sq ins

or

530/2.5 or 212 sq ins.

Thats some weird numbers there man

I worked in the manufacturing field for about 5 years, and how the manufacturer calculates cone area, is middle of surround to middle of surround on the complete opposite side

Dividing the SD in sq CM seems like it would be correct dividing by 2.5, but that is way to large

I just picked up a 12" cone in the garage, and measured it, and it was 10" across

using PIE

5x5x3.14 is about 78sq inches of usable cone area

Which that is common on 12"s about 150-175sq inches on 15"s depending if its narrow surround, or fat surround

There is a pinned topic on this, and that topic is correct

If a manufacturer is saying they have a 12" with 192 - 212sq inches of cone area, well, that is BS

I can believe in cubic area the cone are plus depth of cone, but thats now how cone area is measured

If you are correct, and I' am wrong, then every tline that sounded so damn good, and everyone who built t lines, and the whole transmission line theory are completely wrong

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived