Sonic Electronix

Btls Getting A Little Warm And Smelly

sorry for stealling your thread but i was wondering before i blew my btl 18" new model i had felt the sub and its was really hot but it never smoked nore smelled. i felt it and it has really hot. but the sub blew from mechanical failure im runnign off a sudown 3000d with 7.5 cubes. where they supposed to get hot

personally it sounds like too big of a box for 3000w on that speaker... and a clipped signal

sub should really not get warm besides a bit over ambient if its cooling correctly

and what was the mechanical failure... smashes vc former or torn spider or tinsel breakage

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

sorry for stealling your thread but i was wondering before i blew my btl 18" new model i had felt the sub and its was really hot but it never smoked nore smelled. i felt it and it has really hot. but the sub blew from mechanical failure im runnign off a sudown 3000d with 7.5 cubes. where they supposed to get hot

If it was hot and didn't have anything decaf listed above then it was thermal failure.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

By any chance did you accidently join one of the voice coils into a loop on each sub (positive joined to negative)?

It sounds like you might have, this causes the coil to actually induce a field backwards against the excursion and limits the movement of the sub. Some people do it deliberately in SQ settings (mostly home theatre) as it also increases the sub's control over the cone.

So you would have been feeding a whole lot of power into a single coil and at the same time limiting the subs excursion and thus the ability to cool itself... sounds like a good recipe for lots of heat to me :)

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Archived