Sundown Audio

Modded Amps

Mosin

lol any amp can be Modded but dont mean it does anything. Good example a certain mmats has the gigantic cap added on (factory mod) and it does increas power output but a modded rockford fosgate 1501bd usually just has the protection taken off so it can be used at 1 ohm. But what i was getting at is any change from factory is considered a mod but you cant by a vr3 walmart amp and mod it into a T40001bd or audison

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

I wan't thinking along those lines. I was thinking of what they call "cheater" amps. I've talked to a guy that says he still has a few from back when he could still get them from the factory. Earthquake amps I believe is what he used and has. I can't remember for sure.

Edited by alvitae

All a cheater amp really is imo is some oldschool amp that was a pretty decent sized, but from people testing them, they found amps to be stable at completly low ohm loads. I dont consider modded amps to be cheater amps at all.

Like what someone else said, some "mods" put out more power by adding some caps of fets, some amps such as rf's mod just means it can play at a lower ohm without protection stopping you.

But if you do mod an amp, and are a competitior, depending what class you run in like meca or usaci where their are wattage brackets you maybe forced into a higher class, or dq'ed if they found out about the mod.

For instance the one old orion refrence, forget the model, but it puts out like 1 watt rms by 2 @ 4 ohms, but then does 1000+rms at something like .00000127 ohms.

But most of the older orion hcca 2 channel amps (before they had monoblocks) could burp @ .25 ohms per channel, or where 800wrms at 1 ohm bridge http://cgi.ebay.com/Orion-250-HCCA-competi...id=p3286.c0.m14 I use to have 2 of those way back in the day. Kinda miss them :(

right a cheater amp is just an amp rated wrong or somehow gives out more power then commonly known. example older fosgates that put out double rated power.

and beefing up the Mosfets doesnt get you more power. A mosfet is like a car wheel. if they dont break going with something beefier is pointless

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

You got to think logic before hand.

Question: What amps get modded, and why can they be modded?

Answer: High end amps that have quality internals built to take a beating and then some, components inside can handle the extra beat down and or the addition of new components can make it possible.

And as said already some amps you can mod just bypassing the protection circuit to allow for lower loads..making more power possible.

I know there's some companies out there that just rate their specs of their amps according to what some every day chump in a stock electrical car can provide to it...then they know willingly that if the juice can be supplied that their amp can do double the power(designers of amp sitting laughing their ass off when you find this out)

Edited by Team Maf

".......Cut spending to only the bare essentials, water and bread...and margaritas...Yaay "-Mr. Marsh

95 camry:

JVC Deck

15" Fi Q in a fail prefab box

US-Amps Merlin Md2d

"Doin' that Work

The most common mod is removing the protection or modifying it so an amp can be run at higher voltage or lower ohm loads than it's designed for.

I guess you could also tweak the crossover section and maybe the gain but in terms of the actual output there's not a lot of 'mod' you can do before you basically have a different amp.

Some amps have the same PCBs in several models (some Orion 4-channels for example) that you could hypothetically turn into the next model up by adding the missing parts.

If you modded the power section of the amp you could put in stronger fets to try and make the amp stable at lower impedances but chances are you would kill the drive or transformer circuits instead. Same goes for the outputs on a D class amp.

Without modding the power section there's not a lot you can do on the outputs on any amp as they're generally designed to fully take advantage of whatever the power supply gives them ;/

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!