Okay, So How Would This Work.....

probably not the permanent way I'd want to do it.... but just to get started.....

Somebody said > Keep it simple.

Okay. How about if I do the Big 3 upgrade on the stock alternator of my F150 {we are still trying to figure what it puts out.... seems that everyone has a different guess, but anyway) and then I replace my stock battery with a bad-ass one ?

This might deserve a whole other thread itself, but anyway, here it is:

I was searching for a really strong battery, and I found this one:

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/autospecs.html

Last one at the bottom of this page, will fit an F150, and they can be drawn down 80%, and charged up 400 times, like a deep cycle...... But they are like $325 !

So, to make a long story short, I found out that you can get this same exact battery, but relabled by Sears, as a Platinum P1, for $189.95 :-) Or, you can get this same exact battery relabled by Stinger, for $350. Uhhhh... well lets see.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So back to my situation.... What if I just upgraded my crappy stock battery to one of these, along with the Big 3 upgrade.... and then didn't try to play my stereo for "really long periods of time"..... maybe only 10 or 15 minutes, with the truck turned off.

Certainly simple. Not too expensive.

Would this get me by for a bit ? .....until I get my dual alternator hooked up.....

Fish

PS, In case you haven't read my other posts, I'll just be running 1 25 to Life Power 1000 amp (1150 to 1350 watts, depending on how I hook things up).

Edited by Fish Chris

Well we need to know what kind of system you are working with man.

But the big three is almost a necessity with any audio setup. But You have a good game plan there. But you dont need all that power right upfront. That battery is a very big battery, are you positive it will fit up front in a f150?

I've been told that the stock alt is a 90 amp. unless you have the HD package then it's 140.

Odyssey makes a good battery. I have seen many competitors use them. The big 3 will help get the juice from the alt to the battery but won't help you when the car is off ;)

If your going to buy a battery, plan on having it for the life of the battery.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Hey Ramen, and ChevyBoy.....

Ramem, you were too quick for me :-) I did come back and post a PS..... but you were already on it :-) Just one amp..... albeit, a fairly powerful one.

ChevyBoy..... No doubt. Two things come to mind though, 1) I was thinking about getting one of those little LED voltage meters. Only about $30, easy to hook up, and they look pretty cool, and 2) 9 times out of 10, I have 1 or 2 big, fat deep cycle batteries under my bedcover.... Not hooked up to anything, just carrying them, to be used in my boat. So even if I get a little carried away, I can always jump my truck off of one of those.

Peace,

Fish

Hey Ramen, and ChevyBoy.....

Ramem, you were too quick for me :-) I did come back and post a PS..... but you were already on it :-) Just one amp..... albeit, a fairly powerful one.

ChevyBoy..... No doubt. Two things come to mind though, 1) I was thinking about getting one of those little LED voltage meters. Only about $30, easy to hook up, and they look pretty cool, and 2) 9 times out of 10, I have 1 or 2 big, fat deep cycle batteries under my bedcover.... Not hooked up to anything, just carrying them, to be used in my boat. So even if I get a little carried away, I can always jump my truck off of one of those.

Peace,

Fish

Yeh but you drain your battery and poof goes the magical smoked amp dragon.

Vehicle: 1997 S10 Blazer 4dr 4X4

Exterior: Rear End Bagged, Black Grill, Lifted 2"

Amplifiers: Rockford Fosgate T8004 & T10001bd

Batteries: 2 Stinger SPV35, Kinetik HC2400

Electrical: Big 3, DC Power 290amp Alternator w/ MLA at 15.5v

Enclosure: 4.2 ft³ @ 33Hz 84sq.in. of port (20sq.in. per cube)

Headunit: Eclipse CD3200 w/ 80G iPod

Mids/Highs: Rockford T152s (a-pillars), Rockford T162s (doors)

Subwoofers: 1 15" Fi BL Fully Loaded

Wire: All 1/0g Kicker Hyperflex

My YouTube Videos

My Fiberglass A-Pillar Build

My "Seamless" Looking Box Build

My DD1508 T-Line Bandpass Build "Seamless" w/ Acrylic Windows (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Stealth 8" Fiberglass Build (for '05 TrailBlazer)

My Build For A Friend's '08 Cobalt 15" BL Sealed Off From The Trunk

My feedback/references...

Guest Just_Rob
So back to my situation.... What if I just upgraded my crappy stock battery to one of these, along with the Big 3 upgrade.... and then didn't try to play my stereo for "really long periods of time"..... maybe only 10 or 15 minutes, with the truck turned off.

Certainly simple. Not too expensive.

Would this get me by for a bit ? .....until I get my dual alternator hooked up.....

Fish

PS, In case you haven't read my other posts, I'll just be running 1 25 to Life Power 1000 amp (1150 to 1350 watts, depending on how I hook things up).

Fish, if your going to do it that way for now and pop for duals later, here's my .02.... Get a good battery (Never been a fan of Sears, and find it hard to believe that they are the "same" as Odyssey, but that's another topic) At least upgrade the power and ground to the alternator and engine, and I would be willing to bet you have the Denso 150 Amp alt on your truck, the only '08 F-150's I ever saw that didnt have it were base models (call the dealer with the last 8 of the vin and get a part # to verify)

If you do, I can get you an overdrive pulley for the alternator and you'll have plenty of juice for the time being, especially at idle.. That Denso alternator is rock solid, and 10 times the alternator that ANY 3G/4G/6G alternator ever made by Motorcraft/Visteon... You should be good for playing with the truck off for short periods of time.. Just fire it up and let it run for a bit and dont let the battery get too run down...

Hey Just_Rob, I was just on the F150 forum, and I "thought" I found the answer... One of the gurus said, 110 amps on base models, and 130 amp on Lariats, 4 wd's, any with tow package (which mine has) and to be honest, 130 doesn't sound too bad to me..... But if it does have the Denso 150, that sounds really good, for a stocker.

Oh and BTW, the 'other' Sears batteries you dealt with, might have been crappy, but the Platimum P1 is in fact, made by Odessey. I actually learned that from an Odessey employee.

Ramen, I think your asking, "Running the stereo with the truck off, all the time" right ? Well, I can try to control the duration for which I do this..... but yes, I will probably do this really often. Especially when the system is new. I want to be able to concentrate on the stereo adjustments, tracks I'm playing, etc....... and / or, show it off to friends..... and I think any system sounds so much better / louder when your not contending with motor / road / exhaust noise.... especially my true dual exhaust.

Ya' know wL<3bass, one would think that running an amp until the voltage dropped too low, forcing them to shut off, would be hard on them... and maybe it is, but I used to do it all the time, litterally for years, with my old Coustic (not Power Acoustic) amps, and never blew one in the 8 years I owned them. Maybe modern, top quality amps blow easier, than cheap ones from 18 years ago ? Doesn't sound right to me, but maybe.....

Peace,

Fish

Edited by Fish Chris

Fish, i've noticed that alot of older amps such as coustic can be run at lower voltage espeacially if they are not rated at high wattage(i.e. 1000+).

I had a cheap insignia amp from best buy rated at 250watts rms bridged, and I could run it all day without draining the battery, but I had a Power Acoustik Gothic Series 3000D Rated at 1700RMS @ 1 Ohm, and I ran it for 5 minutes with the switch off, and poof I let out the magic smoke, so its not that newer stuff blows easier its that alot of older stuff such as coustic, insignia, etc...wasnt rated for as much power or voltage.

PS my PA amp had a warning on the back to not run it at anything lower than like 12.5Volts, and not to use anything smaller that 4AWG wire.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

1997 4 Runner

Alpine CDA-9886

4 Fi Audio X Series 12's

1 Crunch GP3000D Pro

DC Power Inc. Alternator(Kickin out 15+ volts!)

footer-fade.gif