Second Skin Audio

30 Hertz.....or 35 Hertz

ok....all of the boxes I have designed and built for my car has been tuned to at most 31 hertz.

and i have been impressed with all of them because of the crazy low end that i get.

but...i kinda want to try something new. i want to tune to about 35 hertz, but i have never tuned that high before. so before i go out and build a box and get disappointed, i just wanted to get you guys' opinions.

do you think i will sacrifice that low rumble by moving from 30 to 35 hertz?

the reason why i tune so low to begin with is because i use soundstream's bass machine...

just so you guys know, the subs are DC lvl 4 12s...with lvl 5 coils D1

thanks

i donno if this counts or not but my wall was tuned to 35 and peaked around 42 it played both the lows and 40-45hz range rather well it was well rounded and played what i threw at it good

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

yer gonna tell huge dif being that low and going to that higher tuneage. ive always tuned to 30, 28, 29Hz i just love the low loooows i dont mean mini trucks. i had a box tuned to 35Hz once and never again!!! it hit pretty good but not like that rumbling thunder bass, it was louder like it was supposed to be. the higher tuneing isnt for me

Edited by lil_italy773

i donno if this counts or not but my wall was tuned to 35 and peaked around 42 it played both the lows and 40-45hz range rather well it was well rounded and played what i threw at it good

hmm...im talking about the looooowww lows, though.

yer gonna tell huge dif being that low and going to that higher tuneage. ive always tuned to 30, 28, 29Hz i just love the low loooows i dont mean mini trucks. i had a box tuned to 35Hz once and never again!!! it hit pretty good but not like that rumbling thunder bass, it was louder like it was supposed to be. the higher tuneing isnt for me

yeah that's what i was thinking....if it is going to be a noticeable difference in the rumble, then i can't make the sacrifice

Personally speaking, I prefer LOW lows too. I've always tuned my boxes to around 30 hz, and although I might have sacrificed a couple db's by not tuning higher, I gained some ultra lows "AND" more importantly, kept it musical. I've heard (I haven't actually experienced this, but just going by hear say) that while tuning at 38hz to 45 hz will give you really LOUD bass in that frequency range, it will sacrifice a flatter, more musical range of frequencies..... Or to put it another way, it will be more peaky / boomy.

Anyway, not only has my experience shown that a 30 hz tuning works well for most 10"s and 12"s, this also happens to be what my subwoofer manufacturer recommends anyway, so 30hz it is for me :-)

Peace,

Fish

thanks for the comments guys....

IMO a properly built and tuned box @ 35 hz will get the low lows with no issues

Redbarons Acura is tuned at 35hz any one that has haeard it will tell you the low lows are insane.

30hz is to low for me personally becuase most music is in the upper 30's to the 50s

27 to 33 Hz is tune too lows. I like to tune around 35 hz to 37 Hz because you can hear me knocking hard on the block coming on the street turning those head. Ground pounding.