1600 Watts Through 4 Gauge?

Sorry if this is a bit noobish, but lets say I did 1/0 gauge wire with my amp. My amp can only accept 4 gauge wire. If I use a reducer, wouldnt that create a pinch off point and not be as usefull as if i had an amp that can utilize 1/0 gauge wiring?

that's exactly what runs through my mind. big big wire...then gets pinched down to a small terminal. like a big 6 inch pipe with a 1 inch opening. you wont get that 6 inch worth. but...bigger wire does allow for less resistance. and with it getting pinched off at the amp instead of starting from the battery, i think you'd still see some sort of improvement

using the reducers is a wise choice and if you upgrade amps later you alreayd got the 1/0

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

The amount of voltage drop across the reducer will be negligible compared to trying to pull 120+ amps over 15-20ft of 4ga. That is also assuming you are doing full tilt sine wave burps with this amp...your average current draw with music will be much lower. As previously said using the 1/0 with reducers will save you some work in the long run should you decide to upgrade to a little more power though. My vote is on the 1/0....overkill is not always bad.....

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]

The amount of voltage drop across the reducer will be negligible compared to trying to pull 120+ amps over 15-20ft of 4ga. That is also assuming you are doing full tilt sine wave burps with this amp...your average current draw with music will be much lower. As previously said using the 1/0 with reducers will save you some work in the long run should you decide to upgrade to a little more power though. My vote is on the 1/0....overkill is not always bad.....

Exactly - what you're worried about is ohms per meter. The power traces and busses inside your amp are much smaller than 0ga but they still carry a hell of a lot of current.

1 inch of reducer is hardly going to hurt at all.

On a side note, depending on the actual thickness of your wire and how many strands it has, you can strip a bit more cable than usual and use a few zip ties to REALLY squash it. My friend got 2 runs of 0ga into a single 0ga terminal by zip-tieing it for hours on end, constantly tightening a little more every half hour or so.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!