Sonic Electronix

Well, I got two dc lvl 4's lvl 5 dual 1's and a Kinetic 2400, I'm getting a 250A DC Alternator and I'll need a stinger voltage meter. How much would the average audio shop charge including labor? It's a 2007 Chevy Cobalt LT, would it be smarter to have a car place install the alt, than take it to the audio shop and have them do the Big 111, or have the audio shop install the alt, and do the Big 111 at the same time?

I'm just trying to figure out what would the total cost be, because this system is costing me like probally 2 grand with all the the costs.

I know most of you would say "do it yourself" but I don't have anyone around here who can help me, and the weather is really bad this time of month.

Any feedback would be awesomely appreciated.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

well you should see if the audio shop will do it and how much they would charge cause im sure if they have a good enough installer they could it might be better than having a mechanic do it not sure what the going rate is per hour for a mechanic down there but it might be higher than the audio shop would charge

must be nice huh

well if its anything like my HHR since they have the same chassis the alt is a pain in the ass to get to and prolly have to have to remove the fender to get to it. Id let a shop do it no matter the cost lol or if you have a friend that knows how to do all that, like i do lol

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

well if its anything like my HHR since they have the same chassis the alt is a pain in the ass to get to and prolly have to have to remove the fender to get to it. Id let a shop do it no matter the cost lol or if you have a friend that knows how to do all that, like i do lol

Yah, I have a friend but he never picks up his phone, and he's an hour + from me i'm not going to show up unexpectedly. The alternator bolts on, so it's an easy installation. Cobalt LT though the alternator is a bitch to get to, and yah, they'll have to remove some stuff to get to it. all I have left is to get the alt, a stinger voltage meter, and I don't know how many ft I need of 0 gauge wire that's probally like over 50 dollars as well. I'm really excited though because I'll finally know what it's like to be running 3kwrms+. Considering I provide all the parts I'm guessing it should be under $200 dollars.

The shop told me it would take all day, because one of the kids that works there has a Cobalt LS I think, he said it took him 8 hours to do his alt.

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

Yah, I have a friend but he never picks up his phone, and he's an hour + from me i'm not going to show up unexpectedly. The alternator bolts on, so it's an easy installation. Cobalt LT though the alternator is a bitch to get to, and yah, they'll have to remove some stuff to get to it. all I have left is to get the alt, a stinger voltage meter, and I don't know how many ft I need of 0 gauge wire that's probally like over 50 dollars as well. I'm really excited though because I'll finally know what it's like to be running 3kwrms+. Considering I provide all the parts I'm guessing it should be under $200 dollars.

The shop told me it would take all day, because one of the kids that works there has a Cobalt LS I think, he said it took him 8 hours to do his alt.

well im not sure what the book time is on that maybe you should check out some more shops and see what it might take never know it maybe better to have a mechanic with knowledge do it might be faster =cost less

must be nice huh

well im not sure what the book time is on that maybe you should check out some more shops and see what it might take never know it maybe better to have a mechanic with knowledge do it might be faster =cost less

yeah bro, as long as you can explain to him what need to be done, and have the o gauge all cut up w/ the ring terminals at the ends of em, they would be able to do that for ya ez imo. well atleast over here where i live

CURRENTLY UNDER RE-CONSTRUCTION

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Team T3 Audio

Team Deadly Hertz

Team SMD (Street Motivated Devastation)

Chariot.gif

Me and my buddies changed out my alt and did the big 3 in one night. All it cost me was the time and taco bell for them. I have a ford escape and it included taking off the wheel the splash guard the lower cv joint and short axle then reaching into a whole and unmounting the bracket to ge to it. Biggest pain i nthe ass ever. if ican do it in one night I would think you could do it on your lil cobalt with no prob. Id save the money besides. Nothing taches better than experience right. Other than that I would say have amechanic do the alt install and just have him add the 0 awg wire on top of the original alt wire as you dont want to pull the original harness off any ways. Then just do the ground strap and ground cable your self. :D Good luck with the install man.

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Escape

Head Unit: Kenwood Kdc-x592

All out for a rebuild.

New shit coming in the next 30 days.

teamsundown3hx1.jpg

Yah, i just don't know any1 who is on this site, that has paid a shop to do the Big 111, everyone has done everything themselves and if I had a teacher I would be able to learn to but he never picks up his freaking phone anymore.

Rob, said that you need to sodder the 0 gauge wire to the alternator when all said and done with electrical I should be at 14V.

The Crunch GP 3000 my amp is 12v it's 3kwrms at 14v it pushes out 4kwrms that came right out of "mike stiers" mouth himself from Maxx Sonics.

I'm going to get the alternator and i'm just going to store everything until I can figure out if i'm going to have the shop do it, or if I can find sum1 close to me come out and help. We hosted an illinois meet back in 2007 so if anyone who lives by me and is willing to make the trip out let's say March, I'd be happy to learn how to do it, and I will pay you if your willing to help n show me.

Edited by Twigz

Fear The Quack!

duckoc3.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-19

IMO having a car audio shop put your alt. on is like have a brain surgeon operate on your nuts. I am sure that some shop have done it before but a car dealer know what to do...

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

The Crunch GP 3000 my amp is 12v it's 3kwrms at 14v it pushes out 4kwrms that came right out of "mike stiers" mouth himself from Maxx Sonics.

Only if you can keep the impedence down. It's not going to do 4K if your impedence rise is up to 4 ohms like it will be in most cases. It will probably do the 4K if you wire it under 1 ohm and the rise is at 1 ohm. That is the only way it's going to do that power. It's not just the Cruch amp that's any amp for that matter.

On another note I would do part of the big 3 yourself. I would run a ground to chasis, more than likely you already have your 0 guage power run, and then let the shop that puts in your alt run the wire from the alt to the battery. If you battery is in the trunk like I think that most or all Cobalts are then I would just run the wire up into the engine compartment near where the alt is and let the mechanice hook it up to the alt. As for a secondary battery I would just do that yourself too. It's not hard to put another battery in the trunk and wire it to the amp/other battery.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz